Wroclaw Travel Answers

change location
Antidamen's Profile Photo

safe to travel to wroclaw now?

by Antidamen Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I've been reading in newspapers that there has been a flood in Poland recently - how serious was this flood, and is the city of Wroclaw damaged by this, or is it safe to go there for vacation in July?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Re: safe to travel to wroclaw now?

by dutchboycalledjan Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM

We've been in Wroclaw, it is a very nice, important and interesting city. However, it is on the river Oder and this and other rivers, like the Moldau in Czech Republic, are known for their floodings. The flood itself doesn't last long and usually can be predicted, but the consequences can be severe: one time we had to make a detour of several hours because the road was still in repair (a year later!). I would contact the Tourist Information for the details.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jawnuta's Profile Photo

by Jawnuta Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

It will be fine in July.
    Only few places in Wroclaw were affected by flood.
    Those types of floods that are affecting Poland right now happen usually during the spring.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jun 3, 2010 at 1:22 AM

I stayed there last Tuesday to Wednesday.

My hotel was on an island in the middle of the Oder river; no problem.

The situation in July will depend on the amount of rain that will fall South of the area from now. So, keep an eye on the weather.

I have seen some damage to the river walls, but not that dangerous, that areas were closed.

Outside the city center there might be some local closures (there was a detour of road #8, but I think it is a scheduled construction).

PJ

• gmartly's Profile Photo

by gmartly Online Now Jun 3, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Hi there,

The news abroad often exaggerate the real state of Poland. There is flood but most affected areas are villages and sometimes smaller cities. Wroclaw is fine. The only affected areas were the suburbs located far from the city centre. All areas which you would like to visit as a tourist were not flooded. Although it's raining now I don't think Wroclaw will be affected by that.
    I personally think it's perfectly safe to visit Wroclaw in July. If you would like to make sure that it is safe for 100% just call the tourist centre or check Polish embassy website which should have proper information about the flood and affected areas in Poland. If you decide to come over...well, just enjoy :) Take care

Jo

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines