World Travel Answers

change location
MaybelleneC's Profile Photo

First name and Last name in wrong order on air tickets

by MaybelleneC Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi All,

I have booked an air ticket online, and I have accidentally keyed my first name under the last name column, and I can't check in my flight online.

So I'm just wondering whether will I still be able to fly of my name and spelling are all correct, but in wrong sequence?

*Am flying from Singapore to New York.

Thanks in advance, I'm in a panic mode now.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: First name and Last name in wrong order on air tickets

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Depends on the airline and security issues. We have had two boarding issues in the past with discrepencies in tickets and boarding passes.

Due to a systems malfuction my daugher's name had a slight spelling error (the computer cut off the last letter of her first name). She was denied boarding until a correct boarding pass was printed; which cost us some 20 or 30 minutes delay to get things fixed up.

In another case my wife and daughter were denied boarding, until the problem was solved) because their middle initial did not appear on the ticket when compared to their passports. The tickets had to be reissued before they were allowed to board.

In both cases, they made their flights, but just barely.
    Save yourself some potential grief and have the ticket fixed now.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tropicrd's Profile Photo

by tropicrd Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I agree with the above reply,to save time and lots of explaining fix it up now and then you can relax.

It's an easy mistake to make but a tad harder to fix up at the last moment,that's when the panic sets in.

Hope all goes well..Singapore airport customer service is very helpful.

Have a good flight to New York.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Oct 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Get it corrected. We were on a flight once where an airline employee keyed in a number of names incorrectly so the whole plane was held up until they corrected it and sent the new (correct) spellings to the authorities. The boarding passes weren't the issue; the list the airline had to give some authority was the problem. Hence, they held the entire plane. If it was just you, the plane would go and you would not be allowed to board. Much easier to fix it now than at the airport. If all else fails, get to the airport very early so you have time to get it changed.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Oct 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Hi, the airlines makes mistakes all the time with my name and have it inverted, but I never had many issues when i tell them that they have the names backwards and always allow to board my flight. Just remjember to bring the reciept just in case and the credit card that you bought the tickets with. My name is THOMAS MARK and a lot of people file it backwards as Mark Thomas, this has been happening to me for ever, but I never had a problem traveling.

cheers tommy x

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines