Wollongong Travel Answers

change location
Alonso20's Profile Photo

WOLLONGONG

by Alonso20 Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 8:03 AM

Whats the city and the people like. Is it a good place to party? chilling rather tha getting wasted? what about music and arts? can you get bored in a city like this? Please send my some views on this

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: WOLLONGONG

by mr.jacob Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 7:14 PM

hey, although I have'nt been to Wollongong, my aunt and uncle have and they say that it's a nice place (considering it's located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean) It is a scenic place where you can visit beaches and Sydney (which is located just about 70 km to the north.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • littleman's Profile Photo

Re: WOLLONGONG

by littleman Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 8:06 PM

If you catch the train from sydney to woollongong,it takes 1hr and 45mins.There are plenty of small coastal and bush towns on the way. Great scenery if thats what your looking for.

• peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Jun 9, 2003 at 11:54 PM

It's a hole.

• Alonso20's Profile Photo

Re: Re: WOLLONGONG

by Alonso20 Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 5:52 PM

what do ya mean by a hole? sorry, im from S. America

• Alonso20's Profile Photo

by Alonso20 Online Now Jun 12, 2003 at 9:51 AM

Thanks for that. Well im moving to study at UOW so it wont be that dull. Besides I heard it has good beaches for surfing, do ya know if they are clean? hows the water? Is Aussie slang difficult to catch?

• naturalmystic82's Profile Photo

by naturalmystic82 Online Now Jun 29, 2003 at 11:20 PM

hey , sorry my friend who was studying there, has gone away for a bit - wollongong, from my experience is abit quiet compared to sydney - couple of pubs, cool for some beers and that but pretty quiet in other regards - the uni is a bit better - but if you have a car sydney not that far - actually uow is in north wollongong right next to the highway to sydney - their is also regular trains - yes it is very good for surfing, lots of beachbreaks , and a few good points, and wollongong is like the gateway to the south coast which has a lot of good surf, the surf speak is much the same as everywhere else in the world, the australian accent in wollongong is strong - yeh you can be bored it is almost like acountry town and has a big industrial area - i'm going away for 5 weeks but email me, when you get here -and i show you some of the surfing.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

by leebee1 Online Now Aug 16, 2004 at 6:08 AM

hey there! i can probably help you out a bit/alot as wollongong is the place that i call home!!! ok firstly, its not a big city. but it does cater for everyone. if its laid back you want there are so many restuarants in and around the city centre. (crown st, keira st etc). you can go hang out at stuart park, or north or south wollongong beaches. if its surf your after take your pick you can head south, or head north. (although the waves arent that great). youd probably be looking for the pop surf spots such as sanden point, bellambi point, redsands just to name a few. the uni crowd would most often be found at the beach bar, the north wollongong hotel, rustys nightclub, the glasshouse tavern. you can check out most of the nightspots at www.wollongongnightlife.com.au. there are many nightclubs for a relatively (or at least what i would call) small city. definately gets more atmosphere in the summer months as everyone is diining outdoors, and then going for a couple of drinks. youll pick up the aussie slang pretty quick, but i am told we have wollongong slang too:) ummm,not sure on what other info your after...drop me a line if there is something else you wish to know. hope that helps somewhat.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

by leebee1 Online Now Aug 16, 2004 at 6:13 AM

i forgot. for music you have live bands at the oxford tavern, djs at coonies tavern, the youth centre puts on gigs for all ages. these are just some of the live music venues. you can also catch many live performances in other local pubs/clubs in the surrounding suburbs. the beaches here are beautiful. very clean. you can often drive for a bit and have a beach to yourself. all the pleasures that make me proud to call this city my home!!!

• slyons81's Profile Photo

by slyons81 Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I agree with the previous poster, I thought Wollongong was a bit of a dump, especially for a country with so many great places. If you're looking for a good place to party with some cheaper accommodations I would go for Byron Bay. Excellent beaches, much nicer than Wollongong, and a good nightlife scene. There is a blue festival, and a lot of live music. Also there's a lighthouse (i think) if you're into that.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines