Windsor Travel Answers

change location
LauraEllen's Profile Photo

Quick visit?

by LauraEllen Online Now May 22, 2006 at 9:40 PM

In July, my family will arrive at Heathrow late morning. The next day we have a flight on to Budapest. So, I'd like to see if we can dash over to Windsor to see the castle for a couple of hours. We'll be staying at the Novotel at Heathrow. Is this at all realistic? What would be the best way to get from Heathrow to Windsor (ie. taxi, public transport)? If this isn't realistic, what should we occupy ourselves with whilst stuck at Heathrow for the afternoon/evening? Thanks for any advice.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

RE: Quick visit?

by leics Online Now May 22, 2006 at 10:59 PM

The train takes around an hour or so: www.nationalrail.co.uk for times and fares. There is also a bus......route 77 link on this page:
    uk.geocities.com/busroutes/p...

A taxi will be quite expensive.

You will probably have time to see inside the castle, but you'll certainly have time to see it from the outside!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bobuk's Profile Photo

by bobuk Online Now Jun 21, 2006 at 10:46 PM

In my opinion it is not viable if you use a train or bus to go and see Windsor. Depends what time the plane is due to land as you know what its like getting out of a long haul flight. By the time you get a landing slot after spinning around London several times and then collect your luggage and then get through customs and then find your way to hotel and get settled in, the afternoon will just disapear before you know it.
    The only way you could do this (in my opinion) is get a windsor taxi (not a London black cab !!!) to take you to windsor and get the same taxi company to take you back in the evening. You could also have a meal in Windsor and have a stroll along the river and maybe see Eton etc. This will not be that cheap but not too expensive either. A taxi to Windsor from Novotel will probably cost about 25 pounds each way. I know a taxi company in nearby Maidenhead and I can get you a quote if your interested. I will also get you a quote from a Windsor taxi company if you want........

• LauraEllen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Quick visit?

by LauraEllen Online Now Jun 30, 2006 at 8:05 PM

If you could give us the name of a taxi company you'd recommend, and a phone number, then my husband can look into it (he'll be there for a couple of days before the kids and I arrive.) But I think you are probably right, I'm being too ambitious and should just accept the fact that we will probably get to the Novotel, go for a walk, have dinner, and crash! There's always the BBC - which we miss a lot! Thanks for your advice.

• pjdubai's Profile Photo

by pjdubai Online Now Nov 5, 2006 at 3:17 AM

I get picked up by Windsor taxis whenever I come to visit my friend in Windsor. They are very affordable (around 20-25 pounds), and it's quite a short drive to get there. If you don't get in too late I'd really take the time to pop into Windsor town and see the castle. I love it here....so much so that I've been back 6 times in the last 5 years!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines