Windhoek Travel Answers

change location

Joe's Beerhouse

by kentgj25 Online Now May 6, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Im going to be in Windhoek for one night before I embark on a volunteer placement and it sounds like Joe's Beerhouse is the place to go in the evening. I'm a girl travelling alone so wanted to know if its the sort of place I can go on my own? Or will I stick out like a sore thumb??

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Re: Joe's Beerhouse

by JohanIsWeg Online Now May 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM

You might want to have a look at the following link, which discusses safety in Windhoek (in general):
    lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/m...

Off the bat, my advice would be NOT to walk around at night (to or from the Beerhouse). I would also be careful of using taxis too late at night. Keep this in mind if you were thinking of having a late night!

Hope the above addresses some of your question.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Joe's Beerhouse

by kentgj25 Online Now May 7, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Thanks Johan, this is really helpful.

• DAO's Profile Photo

by DAO Online Now May 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM

There are several great places to go and eat. Joe's is actually a compound and a great place for a lone traveeler. The staff will look after you. As mentioned before, take a taxi. Windhoek is not that big.

A review of Joes and a few others is here. The O'Portugalia restaurant is just around the corner. Unfortunately many budget acommodations are a good 15+ minute walk away.

Windhoek Restaurant Tips by DAO

Have a great time!

• MelanieBee's Profile Photo

by MelanieBee Online Now May 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM

We just recently got back from a holiday to Namibia. Joe's Beerhouse is delicious! Like the other guy said - take a taxi. We used Corrie van Wyk at L&C Transfers & Chauffeurs: www.lc-transfers.com.na. They will pick you up after your meal as well - just ask the waitress to phone them for you. Actually - don't ask the waitress - ask one of the guys at the front door wearing a headset. Sometimes the waitress forgets to tell you the taxi has arrived :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Windhoek