Windhoek Travel Answers

change location
christine.j's Profile Photo

best way to phone?

by christine.j Online Now Feb 15, 2004 at 7:06 AM

Hello, I have yet another question concerning my daughter's trip to Namibia. What's the best way to phone home to Germany from Namibia? Does anybody know, if a cell phone(text message) works? However, I suppose it would be very expensive. Can you buy a phone card to use at a public phone? Or are there internet caf├ęs to send e-mails? I suppose that's a typical "mother's question" but I would like to get in touch with her from time to time. Thanks for any reply. Christine

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Re: best way to phone?

by christine.j Online Now Feb 16, 2004 at 9:16 PM

Hello Gerald, thank you very much for reassuring me. We checked with the cell phone supplier here in Germany and her cell phone should work. Thanks again, Christine

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Feb 17, 2004 at 10:01 AM

Hello Gerald, my daughter just turned 24 , so I know I shouldn't worry, but some things never stop. She'll be on her own, volunteering in an orphanage. We assumed she could take a taxi from the airport to the youth hostel, but the lady from the orphanage said that's too dangerous for a young woman on her own.She said, no buses, no taxis . So my daughter has to pick up a rental car directly after a long flight and drive - for the first time on the left side - to the youth hostel. Once she's there she's going to phone me and it's this phone call I'll be waiting for! So I really appriciate your help. Thanks again, Christine

• glennkasner's Profile Photo

by glennkasner Online Now Feb 18, 2004 at 12:59 PM

What we did on a recent trip to Malaysia was to get a pay as you go kit upon arrival. We then corresponded via SMS to friends & family in South Africa. Using your own sim card could let you in for a shock when the bill arrives as all your calls will be billed as international calls (incoming calls from home as well) By getting a "local" sim card & starter pack you couls sms your number to those who needed to have it (not the boss) and you have more control over who can reach you as well. Loca calls for calling restaurants, taxis etc are then done at local rates

• minstrel74's Profile Photo

by minstrel74 Online Now Feb 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM

Christine, I was 25 when I visited Namibia and my mother worried quite a bit. I thought phoning back home to the U.S. would be too expensive, so I ended up sending e-mails. There are a a few excellent internet cafes in Windhoek, so I wrote home nearly every day. We communicated more on my trip than we did when I was at home! Anyway, just wanted to point out that e-mail is eminently feasible from Namibia. Don't know about the smaller towns, but Windhoek and Swakopmund for sure. Keep in mind that there is a very extensive network of travelers and western aid workers (many in their 20's)in Namibia at all times of the year. Your daughter will have plenty of company just about anywhere she goes, so making trustworthy friends and communicating with the outside world is a breeze. Let us know if we can provide any other information. Sean

• Soili's Profile Photo

by Soili Online Now May 2, 2004 at 4:26 AM

Hello, I have just learnt from a Namibian visitor that there are two types of mobile phones used in Namibia. The other one is for internal use only, but another one is for calls abroad as well. I should think there are netcafes in Namibia, and I have seen at lest one working email address provider - iafrica.com.na.I should think the larger hotels and guesthouses provide use of internet, too, for a pay. She will be fine, don't worry....but as an experienced auntie, I think I know what you're going through on your mind.The advice about the cars is a good one - let her drive the car.. The roads are in excellent condition in Namibia; please,note that it's dark there after 6.30pm. No driving then, maybe. regards, Soili

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Windhoek