Wimbledon Travel Answers

change location

Food in Wimbledon

by sffog Online Now Jul 30, 2003 at 1:31 PM

Hope to visit lovely Wimbledon Village for the first time in 19 years this October. Can anyone recommend vegetarian/organic restaurant and grocery? We sometimes eat fish: how about the best fish and chips? If I can't resist my favorite English meal, where can I get liver and onions? (It may amuse Wimbledon natives that since I have spent the equivalent of three months or more in the UK over the last TWENTY YEARS!, I am not an acceptable blood donor in San Francisco.) Many thanks for all help.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: Food in Wimbledon

by zuriga Online Now Jul 30, 2003 at 3:09 PM

Are you talking about the Wimbledon which is just south of London? It's not much of a village these days, so I hope you won't be disappointed. It's just another big town with lots of traffic and people. There is a nice pub there called the Kilkenny.. Irish music on Tuesday nights.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Wimbledon Village?

by sffog Online Now Jul 31, 2003 at 12:09 PM

I don't like traffic, so that's a disappointment, but I like Irish music. Thanks for the tip. Does the pub allow you to bring in fish & chips, and where would you get them?

• zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: Wimbledon Village?

by zuriga Online Now Aug 1, 2003 at 3:41 AM

Sorry I don't know the answer about fish and chips. A friend of mine plays some music there on Tuesday nights.. I've never actually been inside the place. I'm from the States but used to be near Wimbledon on occasion.

• RE: Food in Wimbledon

by icowden Online Now Jun 1, 2005 at 5:45 AM

Wimbledon Village is a lovely small area above Wimbledon. There are tons of places to eat and a few lovely pubs. There is a deli in the Village which I imagine sells lots of organic and fresh produce.

I would strongly suggest just walking from one end to the other (only a 10 minute walk) and just seeing whats there!!

The best fish and chips are down the hill in Wimbledon. Walk up past the station and turn right past the pub (and Waterstones), follow the road around and there is a fish and chip restaurant.

No idea where you can get liver and onions!!

Iain

• TinkyR's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Food in Wimbledon

by TinkyR Online Now Jul 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM

Hi,

Wimbledon Village is a great village, with lots of places to eat and drink.

From the Marryat Road end of Wimbledon Village High Street, on your left is The Rose and Crown, which has a good choice on the menu. Then opposite, follow the road up to the common and on your right there's Tootsies.

If you carry on from The Rose and Crown straight through the High Street there are plenty of great pubs, The Brewery Tap,on your left, opposite the Dog & Fox, which is on the corner of the first roundabout, it's quite small, but the food is fabulous, and well worth a visit.

Before you get to the Brewery Tap, still on your left , you must check out Bayley & Sage, the local deli, they sell absolutely wonderful food, cheese, bread, pasta, wine, everything that you can think of.

Further on, there's Finches - nice and comfy, The Common Room, The Players Lounge, not to mention Bayee Village Chinese and the Thai House.

The Village High Street will take you into Wimbledon town itself, where your
    choices are endless. You could try All Bar One, I'm sure they have Liver & Onions on their menu, plus the Fish & Chips are quite nice.

Enjoy your visit.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines