Wiltshire Travel Answers

change location
amandajayne81's Profile Photo

White horse trail - Where is it??

by amandajayne81 Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 10:42 PM

I have been trying to find a route that shows some or all of the White Horses in the Wiltshire and surrounding areas. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I could find this info I would be thankful.

I will be driving and would like to tie them in with a day tour of Stonehenge and Avebury.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ghosthunter's Profile Photo

Re: White horse trail - Where is it??

by ghosthunter Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Hi Amanda, The following website provides pictures & maps of the area where the white horses are : www.whitehorsewalking.co.uk/whitehorsetrail.htm
    Have a nice time, Darren.
    PS : www.visitwiltshire.co.uk will also provide you with some ideas for your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: White horse trail - Where is it??

by leics Online Now Aug 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM

The White Horse Trail in Wiltshire is a walking route, so you will not be able to follow it by car. However, there are details about the horses here:

nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway...

http://www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/

Map here: wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/...

You'll need a road-map book or, much better, the Ordnance Survey (OS)map of the area (from local bookshops/newsagents) as you'll need to use a fair number of small side-roads to see them all.

Although interesting (and there are Army emblems cut into the chalk downland as well) they are not at all ancient.

The only prehistoric White Horse carving (from at least the Iron Age, lying just below a classic Iron Age hill-fort) is the one at Uffington, south Oxfordshire. It is on the Ridgeway, a prehistoric trackway (now a popular walking route).

nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway...

Near to the Uffington White Horse and hill-fort (and Dragon Hill) is Wayland's Smithy, an important Neolithic barrow.

If you have time, you might find visiting this horse more interesting than looking at the far more modern white horses in Wiltshire. My Wantage page has info and tips.

• Re: White horse trail - Where is it??

by SalisburyFan Online Now Apr 15, 2010 at 6:31 AM

This may be of interest to you: ezinearticles.com/?Large-Whi...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Wiltshire Travel Answer Locations