Wiltshire Travel Answers

change location
Naruven's Profile Photo

My Questions about Amesbury

by Naruven Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM

Hi there!

tanks a lot for a reply kbr61263, but You misanderstood me - sorry this is my foult because the Steeat, that I mean is not Stoneheng St but Stoneheng Road directly in Amesbury Town.I`m not searching for callboxes close to Stoneheng itself, but in Amesbury, close to Stoneheng Road.I find out by steetmap.co.uk, that there, close to Stoneheng Rd, must be a one. But I´m not sure. And I don´t know were exectly she is, because the Streeat,where the mark is ( by streetmap.co.uk)has no Name.And this is very peculiar.
Can You ( or somebody else) help me?

What I need to know:

Is, close to Stoneheng ROAD in Amesbury a callbox? Were exectly?

and

is the petrol station at Higt St open 24\7?

Thanks for the informations about papers! Thanks a lot

Anna-Maria

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: My Questions about Amesbury

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Strange questions......are you a spy or a fiction writer?

It's been many years since I visited Amesbury, but I'll do my best to help.......

salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/... suggests that there is a locally-focused edition 'daughter' paper of the Salisbury Journal called the Amesbury Journal (probably weekly........this is also suggested by references in other websites). However, this information does not mean it is still published.

Red phone boxes are a rarity in the Uk nowadays; they were largely replaced by horrid perspex things some years ago. 'Pretty' traditional places may still retain them, but most probably only in the centre. If Stonehenge St is not in the centre of Amesbury then it is unlikely that any phone box will be the old-fashioned red type.

No 24-hour petrol stations are listed for Amesbury, other than those on the A303. You can phone the Amesbury Motor co (the High St petrol station) on 01980 623377 if you want to check!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: My Questions about Amesbury

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Th fact that there is a phonebox marked on the Ordnance Survey map (the oe you have looked at on streetmap.co.uk does not mean it is still there, although it may be. It is possible that this is a red callbox, as is it rather tucked away in the middle of nowhere.

Not all 'streets' have obvious names; where the phonebox is marked is actually a country lane rather than a street. It will probably have a name (possibly Normanton Lane, because that is the next settlement) but (having followed it down through a series of maps) it is not possible to tell what it is called as too many other lanes join; it could take any of their names at any point, and change its name several times.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Wiltshire Travel Answer Locations