Wilmington Travel Answers

change location
Lillian90's Profile Photo

Wilmington and Charelston

by Lillian90 Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Hi there :)

I'm going on a holiday with my sister this summer and i was thinking of doing something different and not so touristy(from a Dane's point of view) for the first part. I was thinking of having a week in Wilmington and Charleston, i have already checked that you can get flights from Denmark to Wilmington, though it is with a few stopovers, but how is it to get from the airport to accomodation, and around in generel if you don't have a car, would it be easy just to walk around?
I was thinking of taking the greyhound from Wilmington to Charleston to get in some scenery in stead of flying, how are the greyhounds in the US i did a lot of travel on them when i traveled in Australia and didn't have any trouble with them at all but have read a few places on line that they are more dodgy in the US?
And then would it even be possible for two girls do do anything these places without a car and just by walking around.
Any help or tips would be appreciated :)
Lillian

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Wilmington and Charelston

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Certainly it is very easy to get around Charleston without a car. Indeed, having a car can be a bit of a pain, since free parking is tough to find. The city is pretty compact and easily walkable. Charleston is VERY touristy, by the way--and with good reason, since it is a very attractive city and there are lots of things to do, great restaurants, etc. I was there last month for the first time and had a great time.

I have not been to Wilmington NC (I assume that is the Wilmington you are talking about) so can't comment on it, but I assume that the same would be true since it is not a very large city. Wilmington is generally not considered to be much of a tourist destination--which doesn't mean there aren't interesting things to do, of course. I think it is more of a jumping-off point to the NC beaches. One thing to consider is that the two cities are both on the coast, so maybe you want to pick a different one that has a different landscape. I can highly recommend Asheville, NC, as a good alternative.

Greyhound is a fine way to get around. The people who take the bus can be counted upon to have less money than people who fly, but they are not bad people. Of course, if you have limited time, then flying is probably going to make better use of it.

It is a simple thing to get from any airport or bus station in the US to your destination. Public transit is not very good here, certainly not as good as in Denmark, but there are always taxis, shared-ride vans, and (if your hotel offers it) hotel shuttle vans.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Lillian90's Profile Photo

by Lillian90 Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Yes i did mean Wilmington NC, forgot to put that in. I know that charleston is a touristy place but I just meant that from a Danish point of view many wouldn't go there if they went to th US, but I was thinking of going to Wilmington because it's been the location for some of our favourite tv shows when we were younger so I thought it might be fun seeing in real life, and I know that they are both coastal towns but we wanted to have some relaxing time on the beach as well :)
    But thanks for the help so far!

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 15, 2012 at 6:54 AM

OK, now I am very intrigued as to what TV shows you used to watch that were set in Wilmington, NC! I can't think of any!

by Lillian90 Online Now Apr 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

One tree hill, and we are suckers for the show, very much a teenage drama show :)

by Lillian90 Online Now Apr 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Oh and do you know if we would be able to go out to any of the beaches with a bus or are those only accessible if you have a car ?
    I've been told by a friend that the beaches is great in NC so would like to check those out for a day too

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 26, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Aha. I am about 20 years too old to have watched One Tree Hill :-)

Unfortunately I don't know about the bus situation there. Google "Wave Transit" and you will get the bus route map for Wilmington.

by Lillian90 Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Okay cool, thanks a lot :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines