Wilmington Travel Answers

change location

Volunteer activities & water activities

by DiannaD Online Now Sep 17, 2003 at 2:21 PM

I am considering relocating to Wilmington. What volunteer environmental activities are available in this area? (my special interests are whales & dolphins.)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Volunteer activities & water activities

by grandmaR Online Now Sep 17, 2003 at 8:21 PM

I don't know about volunteer activities, but we see dolphins in the Intercoastal waterway from about Wrightsville Beach south. I got a picture of one in the marina at Mt. Pleasant (north of Charleston) at www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Volunteer activities & water activities

by grandmaR Online Now Sep 17, 2003 at 8:34 PM

uncw.edu/news/oldsite/for_th... is the URL for the Un NC at Wilmington - they seem to do a lot of dolphin research. And whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-... is the URL of dolphin sites for K-12 by state. MarineQuest Public Service, UNCW, 601 South College Rd., Wilmington, NC, 28403 Contact: Tammy Rogers, (901) 962-3578 Coast Trek for ages 11-13; Ocean Lab for ages 14-15. North Carolina Maritime Museum Summer Science School & Sailing Program NCMM, 315 Front St., Beaufort, NC 28516 Contact: JoAnne Powell, (919) 728-7317 One and two week programs for children entering grades 1-9, on seashore life, coastal ecology and underwater archaeology

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines