Williamsburg Travel Answers

change location
heatherhendrix's Profile Photo

Advice for Honeymoon

by heatherhendrix Online Now Sep 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I would like all the advice I can get on what to do in Williamsburg, VA. My fiance and I are going there on our honeymoon that last week in October. I have looked at all there is to do there and I have no idea where to start. Should I buy a travel package deal or should I wait till we get there to buy tickets? Also advice on where to stay would be nice. We are wanting a nice hotel, but not too pricey. We aren't going to be in it that much so we would rather use our money on other things. But we don't want to stay in a run down place either. We thought about driving out to VA Beach one of our days and viewing all the lighthouses and attractions out there. But we are more interested in the colonial part so that's where we want to spend the majority of our trip. So any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Heather Crane/Hendrix (to be)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Hopkid's Profile Photo

Re: Advice for Honeymoon

by Hopkid Online Now Sep 26, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Definitely take a drive up Route 5 from W'burg towards Richmond and visit the historic plantations along the way. http://www.jamesriverplantations.org/

You might want to continue on to Richmond and have dinner here one night as well. There are many good restaurants and I can recommend some if you tell me what you're interested in and what your price range is. As far as colonial sites, the state capitol was designed by Jefferson and is the oldest government assembly building still in use in the U.S. today. There's also St. John's Church in Church Hill where the second Virginia Congress was held and where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me liberty, or give me death" speech. Most of the other sites in town are Civil War related. You might want to go out to Charlottesville also where there's Jefferson's home, Monticello and of course his university, the University of Virginia.

Definitely let me know if you have more questions. Oh, and congrats!

Andy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HFC1's Profile Photo

Re: Advice for Honeymoon

by HFC1 Online Now Sep 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM

When you get to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center, walk to the round kiosk on the ground floor ask them for the "This Week" brochure. Keep on walking through the Center to the area where the shuttle bus picks you up. Right before you get to the elevator on your right will be a rack of magazines and brochures that help tourists plan out the their visit.

If you plan to return to Colonial Williamsburg more than once a year, I suggest that both of you get the "Independence Pass".

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines