Wilaya de Fes Travel Answers

change location
qattous's Profile Photo

Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by qattous Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 12:11 AM

Hello, I am going to be in Morocco for a short trip of six days in early August. Since I am short on time, I would like to make a night journey from Fes to Marrakech by train. Yet, since in August there will be many travelers, it is advised (from lonely planet and virtual tourist) to make reservations especially for a sleeping bed on the train. Does any one know the phone number of the train company or any way to make reservations. I checked the oncf.org.ma and it does not have any way of making reservation. Any answer or lead is greatly appreciated. Tousand of thanks. Qattous.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by Katinrabat Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 3:27 PM

I have traveled Morocco by rail quite a bit and have never seen a sleeper car. It is possible to take the same train without changing from Fes to Marrakech, it would take maybe 8 or more hours depending on which train you get. If you don't mind sharing you can take a grand taxi from Fes to Rabat Centre Ville and cut off a few hours, then train from Rabat to Marrakech. A grand taxi is an old Mercedes that usually has 5 or six people stuffed inside. They travel from city to city, and can be a better way to reach more out of the way places like Chefchouan. If you do go by rail you probably will not need any reservations, and generally if you are planning on sleeping first class is the best. The cars actually have better shocks, so it is not as bumpy of a ride. The First class cars usually cost only a few Dirhams more, and are significantly less crowded so you have a much better chance of stretching out. Good Luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • qattous's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by qattous Online Now Jul 13, 2004 at 7:53 PM

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I guess I will buy my ticket from Fes to Marrakech upon my arival to Casablanca and I will request a first class. hope it is not too hot in Rabat... It is quite hot in LA... Have a great summer... and thanks again.

• Re: Re: Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by Morokino Online Now Jul 26, 2004 at 12:37 AM

Hi there I'm from west LA and originaly from Morocco, that's what i'll be doing me and a friend of mine we are traveling next week, we'll be taking the train most of the time, i always buy first class tickets and stretch on the couch it's a fun ride. Any question dont hesitate. Peace.

• Re: Re: Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by Morokino Online Now Jul 26, 2004 at 12:39 AM

Oh BY THE way dont worry about the heat, LA it's warmer than Rabat, i lived in Morocco most of my life i used to witness four seasons but here in LA it's damn hot all year long.

• qattous's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Train reservation from Fes to Marrakech

by qattous Online Now Jul 27, 2004 at 12:19 AM

Hey, that's great... may be I will see you in Morocco then (since LA is so spread out)... no but why don't we talk on the phoe if you want... my cell is 323-708-8575... I am also in the West side by Melrose/Fairfax... and I am originally from Tunisia... so we definitely have to connect at least by phone as I am leaving Friday early morning.... thanx for your response and hope to hear from you

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Wilaya de Fes Travel Answer Locations