Wichita Travel Answers

change location
jackcd's Profile Photo

kansas vacation

by jackcd Online Now Jul 2, 2006 at 7:06 AM

we are going to wichita in august for vacation. what are the cultural highlights? we like hiking in the mountains. are there any nearby?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: kansas vacation

by YVRDave Online Now Jul 2, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Just curious, is this a trick question?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jackcd's Profile Photo

RE: RE: kansas vacation

by jackcd Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 4:17 AM

why would you think that? i have heard great things about wichita

• worldtravlr's Profile Photo

by worldtravlr Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 2:05 PM

Hello jackcd,

Kansas is pretty flat (no mountains). The Wichita Mountains are located in Oklahoma. I haven't been back for a while, but the Old Town area is pretty nice. There are shops, theater, and dining.

There is a website that has a fair amount of information on what is available in town.
    http://www.visitwichita.com/

Have fun on your trip,

-Brian

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

by ScubaCat Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Hey, I live in Wichita & Jack gave you a fantastic website for research. If you want more info on Wichita and things to do here, email me. I'd be happy to fill you in on the good stuff. A must see while in Wichita is the Sedgwick County Zoo! You can't miss that, one of the best in the Country. You also might want to visit the Botanical Gardens or Musuem of the America's. Want good food? Let me know what your preferences are & I'll point you in the right direction. Oh, & definately visit Old Town like Jack mentioned, there's lots of things to do & see & eat. :-)

• ScubaCat's Profile Photo

by ScubaCat Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Oops, I meant World Traveler, when giving credit. Sorry!!! Just woke up from a nap, lol.

• RE: kansas vacation

by candc Online Now Jul 4, 2006 at 11:58 AM

There are no mountains to hike however if you are interested in a side trip, and like History, you will be only about 25 miles south of Newton KS (where I grew up)and if you continue 15 more miles north on state road 215 you will come to Goessel, Alexanderwohl Church, and the Mennonite Heritage Center, which has a small museum, and a small "village" of original buildings. The original settlers of this area were part of the great Mennonite immigration in the 1870's who came here from Prussia in part to gain total religeous freedom. Their ancestors were Flemish, migrating from Holland thru Germany, and eventually ending up in Molotschna, South Russia. They began to incorporate the German language into the church in about 1775. The majority spoke what is referred to as Low German. About 15 miles north and east is Hillsboro, nothing to see there, but at a place called Olde Town Restaurant, I had the best German Mennonite meal I've had since on my Grandmother's farm. Might check to see if it's still in business. 620-947-5446.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines