Whitsunday Islands Travel Answers

change location

How to see best of GBR? Already have sail in Whitsundays planned...

by virginia29 Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

We are a family of 5 (mom, dad, kids 10, 14, 16), trying to see as much of Australia as possible in 2 weeks. I have most of our time planned (Sydney, Melbourne/GOR via rental car, 3-day Kakadu/Katherine NP safari out of Darwin, then 3 night sailing trip in the Whitsundays out of Airlie). How do I squeeze in seeing more of the Great Barrier Reef between the Kakadu trip and Whitsunday sail? Is it as simple as booking a seaplane trip out of Airlie (haven't even checked into this in detail yet -- next on my to-do list)? I know this itinerary is very ambitious, so am trying to avoid having to add more airport-to-airport flight to piece this all together. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: How to see best of GBR? Already have sail in Whitsundays planned...

by lynnehamman Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM

You could go to the reef on any of the many Catamarans & Boats that leave from Airlie- snorkeling equipment is provided on board, as well as meals & snacks.
    This is a better idea than a seaplane in my opinion. Quicksilver is best company for reef tours.
    There are family passes available, which would be ideal for you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: How to see best of GBR? Already have sail in Whitsundays planned...

by virginia29 Online Now Jun 16, 2010 at 6:51 AM

How far out into the reef do some of the Airlie Beach-based tours take you? Is there a particular reef that is the best to travel to or see? I've seen some tours going to Reef World advertised. Thanks for the response!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: How to see best of GBR? Already have sail in Whitsundays planned...

by lynnehamman Online Now Jun 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM

The best part is called Outer Reef. But its all beautiful-, and there are many tours out of Airlie.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines