Whitsunday Islands Travel Answers

change location
Nic33's Profile Photo

Koala at Airlie Beach - good/bad?

by Nic33 Online Now Nov 26, 2006 at 6:30 AM

I have made a booking at Koalas at Airlie Beach for three nights in December and also on their Pride of Airlie Whitsunday tour. I have since heard that this is a bit of an '18-30's type place and standards are not great. As we were looking for a relaxing stay rather than partying every night i'm contemplating cancelling my booking. Has anyone stayed there? Any info about the place and the tour would be much appreciated!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

RE: Koala at Airlie Beach - good/bad?

by Mikebb Online Now Nov 26, 2006 at 2:57 PM

Hi We stayed 4 nights on Hamilton Island during Sept, a busy island if you want to be busy but really quite if you want to be. It is one of the larger islands just a half hour by cat ferry from Shute Harbour and Airlie Beach. All non motorised water sports are included. We stayed in the Palm Apartments, very nice, looked down on beach, surrounded by palms and white cockys.. Special packages are available , ours was Au554 per person 4 nights twin share with buffet breakfast included.The accommodation was very good. A fabulour place , many pools etc, right in the Whitsundays. Have a look at Harvey World Travel , google search, they promote the island.
    If you stay at Airlie I recommend you take a day trip on the FantaSea cat ferry, the 3 Island tour from Shute Harbour, Long Island a low budget place, Day Dream Island, upmarket but small island, and Hamilton Island the largest island and caters for all classes of accommodation
    I did not think much of Airlie Beach, a yachty place crowded with backpackers. The beach looks nice but you cannot swim there, they have built a logoon swiming pool 100 metres in from beach, nice but not the beach.
    Good Luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • scubaozgirl's Profile Photo

by scubaozgirl Online Now Nov 26, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Hi there
    I agree completely with the previous post having been to Hamilton as well.

However, if you are talking about the Koala Beach Resort I have heard differently. A friend of mine said is was in the heart of Airlie but the resort itself was peaceful and pretty much laid back. There is a pub next door called Moroccos which apparently is loud but has a good atmosphere and cheap drinks.
    I have heard very good reviews about a property called Portside Whitsundsy Apartments in Airlie Beach, maybe you should check that one out.
    Personally I would pick the islands. Whatever you decide to do make sure you go on a Whitsunday yachting adventure......the best!
    Cheers & good luck!!!!

• didgeridorien's Profile Photo

by didgeridorien Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 2:32 AM

I stayed in Koala's, there are small houses you share with other guests. Most backpackers go into the city to party, when I was there I had a good night sleep. Probably depends on your roomies. Don't know if you should be here to relax though.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines