Whitsunday Islands Travel Answers

change location
kellylj's Profile Photo

what to do in airlie

by kellylj Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 7:51 PM

we will be on our boat around the whitsundays next week but this week we are in airlie beach. what is there to do? is it worth hire a car? what is there to see near by? we have a week to fill before our tour. we want to hire a car any ideas on where to go?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • CandS's Profile Photo

Re: what to do in airlie

by CandS Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 2:40 PM

Oh you lucky thing!! I wish we were on a boat in the Whitsundays now too...this time last year we were sailing around there ourselves!!!! :) My boyfriend did a seaplane tour out to the reef which he LOVED so if you're into that sort of thing give it a go. We also hoped to visit the zoo there but missed out. Unfortunately we didn't get much time in Airlie Beach but I'm glad we spent so long on the boat. ;) Check out my Whitsunday Island and Airlie Beach pages if you're interested to know about our Whitsundays sailing trip. :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: what to do in airlie

by Bindi125 Online Now Jun 22, 2004 at 3:43 PM

Seeing that you are already there, the best answer is to get your information from the locals who would gladly help you. What there is to do greatly depends on your interests. There is a Tourist Information Centre in the main street of Airlie. If you can afford to hire a car then I would suggest you visit Conway National Park, and also check out the little settlements to the north (Dingo Beach/Hideaway Bay etc) Take a drive north to Bowen and spend a day looking around their beaches. Proserpine has the sugar mill but not sure if they give tours during the crush, which is on now. There's the wildlife sanctuary and the coral gardens, lazing in the sun beside the public pool right on the esplanade and fishing aplenty. A flight over the reef is awesome and puts a whole new perspective on the Whitsundays. Enjoy your time and may you have good weather.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines