Whitby Travel Answers

change location
Raunchy_Poet's Profile Photo

Which side of river best for B&B?

by Raunchy_Poet Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 2:53 AM

Hi there - Whitby cognoscenti!

It's many, many years since I went to Whitby, and all I remember is the abbey up on the hill on one side of the river. I want to book 1-2 nights B&B, and would like to know which side of the river is best. Any other info on well-positioned B&Bs would be welcome.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Which side of river best for B&B?

by bathman Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 6:01 AM

As (an estranged) native of the area, I'd say that east side is generally more basic and less expensive. West side can be posher with inflated prices, especially during school holidays. Nice place to go.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Which side of river best for B&B?

by Sjalen Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM

I'd stay on the Abbey side just because it's much cosier. But the other side of course has much more of a choice.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM

It's not such a huge place that a huge difference is made, imo. The Abbey side is more picturesque (but you might have to pay for car parking, lots of older properties don't have spaces), the opposite site has the main town, museum etc. The longest (sandy) beaches are on the non-Abbey side, but the best fossils on the Abbey side (some issues with tidal access tho). I stayed on the cliffs, facing the beach, on the non-Abbey side and found everywhere perfectly walkable (albeit rather hilly).

• Raunchy_Poet's Profile Photo

by Raunchy_Poet Online Now Jul 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm a regular visitor to the Edinburgh Fringe, and I like to return South via an overnight stay somewhere en route. Previous years have included the Lake District, Durham, Yorkshire Dales ... this year it'll be the Nort Yorkshire Moors / Whitby. Looking forward to it!

• Raunchy_Poet's Profile Photo

by Raunchy_Poet Online Now Feb 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Thanks, Keith, and everyone else. I went in August and stayed on the non-Abbey side, but I could see that either side would've been OK.

It was a warm weekend in August and I think the world and its uncle were also there. It would've been better at a quieter time, but we enjoyed our weekend.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines