Whitby Travel Answers

change location
christine.j's Profile Photo

Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by christine.j Online Now Mar 15, 2005 at 10:17 PM

I was planning to take the coach from York to Whitby, go back to York, and the next day take a train up to Durham. But I would be easier to make this trip a triangle: take the coach to Whitby, go to Durham and then take the train back to York. However, I couldn't find any train for the Whitby-Durham leg. National Express also has no direct coach.
Does anyone know if there is some other public transportation between the two towns?
Thank you for any information.
Christine

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 16, 2005 at 4:16 AM

There is a train Whitby-Middlesborough but Middlesborough-Durham would still involve a change at Darlington if you want to stick to trains.

Arriva North East also runs buses Whitby-Middlesborough. http://www.arriva.co.uk/northeast

Best bet (only 1 change) could be to go to Middlesborough and then change to bus X1 (towards Newcastle) to Durham. Check this site for times:

durham.gov.uk/DurhamCC/usp.n...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by christine.j Online Now Mar 16, 2005 at 9:42 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. I had a quick look at the websites last night and I'll check them again today, when I have more time.
    Christine

• RE: Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Mar 17, 2005 at 6:35 AM

When I travelled pretty much the same journey it was a train from York to Scarborough...then a local bus to Whitby (which had fantastic coastal views, especially when we popped into Robin Hoods Bay)...then another local bus from Whitby to Newcastle via Middlesbrough. You could change in Middlesbrough and go to Durham by bus or train.

Local bus service in England is very good and thorough. I bought a rover ticket that day which got me all the way from Whitby to Carlisle for less than 10 pounds on maybe 3 bus journeys, tops.

If you want local bus times (as opposed to National Express, which is rather limited) have a look at http://www.traveline.org.uk

I'd say you should contact Whitby's tourist info centre directly for their advice.

Having said all that, arriving by train in Durham is really the only way to travel. The view from the station of the cathedral and castle is magnificent. And when the train arrives in Newcastle, well..! It's probably the most awesome urban setting in the country! Happy travels!

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 17, 2005 at 11:23 PM

Thank you for your help. I've checked all the links and found a solution. Also I emailed Whitby tourist information, maybe they know something even better. I can hardly wait to go, it seems to be such a beautiful area.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 18, 2005 at 1:14 AM

It is! :)

• RE: RE: Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by EnglishDavid Online Now Mar 21, 2005 at 11:18 AM

its lovely especially in summer , make sure you try the Fish and Chips, Whitby is famous for this!

• RE: RE: Is there any coach/train connection from Whitby to Durham?

by tombrown Online Now Jul 27, 2005 at 4:09 AM

Hello
    If you miss out on the train ride from Whitby to Middlesbrough you will not experience on of the worlds great train journey's, not a long way but what a beautiful trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines