Whale Island

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Park Location Question

Old Harbor Jan 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Where is Glacier View Park located in Old Harbor?

more
    • Float plane

Juneau Jan 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Going to Juneau in June. Debating whether to take a 5 glacier float plane tour or just go to Mendenhall Glacier?? I realize these are two different experiences. We will be on a cruise doing just the inside passage for the week. Guess I am wondering if we will see enough of glaciers on the cruise. Thanks so much. Of course any suggestions are appreciated.

more
    • 3 days extra on the road or take the kenai fjords boat

Alaska Jan 18, 2015 at 7:35 AM

My wife and I are traveling from the UK in July for a 3 week holiday in Alaska.

We have booked on to the Kenai fjords trip from seward on one of the first few days we are in alaska. But we already have a 7 day cruise at the end of our tour with princess cruises.

After the Kenai fjords we are to go back to anchorage to pick up a rental car, we then have 6 days in the car to make our way to fairbanks (glenn highway direction, we're coming back the other way on the train).

If we did not have the Kenai fjords trip at the start of our holiday we would have 3 extra days on the road and could head off inland the day after we arrive. We want to get an gravel track car rental (yes I know these are pricey so if anyone knows of the cheapest rental company that lets you take the cars on the gravel tracks then that info would also be useful) and we want to do some of the more hard to get to places like mcarthy and the highest road in alska etc.

Do you think we would get more out of our trip if we had the extra 3 days on the road or are we really missing something special if we were to cancel the kenai fjords trip, bearing in mind we have 7 days on a cruise at the end (think the cruise goes to glacia bay etc , all the way to vancouver.

Thanks in advance

more
    • Looking for extended stay car rental and lodging options in Anchorage

Anchorage Jan 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM

I'm coming to Anchorage in June-July 2015 on a pharmacy student internship and am determining a budget for extended-stay lodging, food and transportation. Can anyone offer suggestions on affordable/low-cost car rental in Anchorage? I can't afford $100+/wk that major car rental companies will charge.

more
    • Whale watching tours

Juneau Dec 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Is there a particular time of day (morning, noon, afternoon) that is better for seeing whales. I heard they were more active in the early mornings. Will be travelling last week of May. Is there fog to consider in the mornings.

more
    • What to do in Skagway?

Alaska Jan 11, 2015 at 3:30 PM

I want to see the summit but do not want to take the 8 hr train ride. We will be taking train into Denali. Do not want to do anything too touristy like lumberjack show or pan for gold. Is the fast ferry ride to Haines worth it when we are going to be on a cruise ship through the Inside Passage anyway. I thought about going on the 1.5 hour bus ride to the Summit and the fast ferry to Haines. Are there better things (nature) that I am missing? Doing floatplane and glacier tour in other ports. If I just go on the 1.5 hr bus ride to the summit am I missing scenery that I will terribly regret later. Even though I would like to go to the Yukon, I do not want to do the major tourist thing and I just do not want to do a 6 to 8 hour train tour since I will be spending much time on the train later in Denali. I would like to kayak but travelling companions not so much so that is out. We do like to hike and see beautiful nature. All suggestions welcome.

more
    • Likelihood of seeing Northern Lights in June

Anchorage Jan 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Hi, we are thinking of coming to Alaska in June 2015 and wondered what the likelihood of seeing the northern lights would be? Or if there was any chance at all?

more
    • filipdebont's Profile Photo

Shuttle service to Mccarthy/Kennecott in Wrangell-St Ellias NP

Alaska Jan 21, 2015 at 8:51 AM

There are two different shuttle services towards Mccarthy,
      - with the first you have 5h30 of time to discover Mccarthy and Kennecott (roundtrip from Glennalen : 109$)
      -second gives 8 h of time (roundtrip from Kenny lake : 129$ - 50$ for pick-up from Glennalen)

My question is : how much time is needed to discover Mccarthy and Kennecott (+ guided tour Mil)
      I read that you also can make a short hike 2 miles) towards a glacier from kennecot, is worth the effort.

Kind regards (I will be visiting Alaska next summer) - Filip

more
    • cruise cabins

Alaska Jan 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM

How important is it to have a cabin with a balcony when taking a cruise in Alaska?

more