Wexford Travel Answers

change location

Moving home to Ireland

by Sadieborthwick Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Hio my name is Sadie and I am living in Australia and have been here for 19 years. I am really homesick for ireland and I want to move to wexford ( I was brought up in Derry. Can someone please advice us where to buy a house. We would like a quiet area and if possible close to a beach. Love to hear from anyone living in wexford.

Have good day

Sadie & david

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Moving home to Ireland

by ranger49 Online Now Apr 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Hi Sadie - There are 41 registered members who give their home town as Wexford - but few are active here now.
    Perhaps you should start with some general information about the town, look at available properties. Maybe this site will give you a srart -

http://www.wexfordweb.com/property.htm

Good Luck1

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I have to be honest..We came over 5 years ago, Chris had a job to start which did not last long when the world fell apart. I got Ill and the Irish health service kept me alive (I honestly believe if we had still been in UK I would be dead now). So things have not been easy. Ireland is expensive and has changed an awful lot in the past 20 years, the blessing of the Celtic Tiger has turned into a curse. The Irish are heading to Australia to find work are you sure you want to come back?

Consider Renting to start. It might be a good time to buy but its just as big a step coming back as it probably was to leave.

Post your question on Boards.ie http://www.boards.ie/ It might be removed from here as not travel related. Daft.ie is a good housing site http://www.daft.ie/

Good luck.

• Re: Moving home to Ireland

by Sadieborthwick Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Hi Tony

Thank you for your reply sorry that things have been so hard for you. The Irish that are coming to Aussie expecting to find work are in for tought time over here. Things have got bad over here and everything has got so expensive. Jobs are hard to get and only last month a builder had put a sign up for bricklayers and on that sign he had wriiten. No IRISH need apply. It made the headlines over here but nothing was done about it.

But I appreciate you taking the time to reply to us

Thank you

Good health

Sadie

• ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Hi Sadie, your post won't be removed because VT allow questions about relocation.

• tony2phones's Profile Photo

by tony2phones Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Thanks Sadie. I believe that advert was placed by an Irishman!..We have come to a standstill on the cottage renovation because our Joiner has gone to work in Aus and the Plasterer in NZ. The neighbours daughter has is off over there next week, as a nurse there is work there but a recruitment freeze over here for the past 5 years.

I would sill post on Boards and anywhere else that might help.

Thanks for the enlightenment ricky52. most travel forums block this sort of question.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The good news is that due to the economic downturn here it’s a buyer’s market as far as property is concerned. There are lots of houses available at rock-bottom prices. Have a look at property sites such as www.daft.ie or just Google ‘houses for sale, co. wexford, ireland’ for options. You don’t mention whether you want the town of Wexford or somewhere else in the county. I’d recommend the town of Gorey, it’s a lively town with good shops and transport links and near the seaside village of Courtown so you’d have all the benefits of urban life close to the coast. Ideally renting for a couple of months would be best so that you can assess what and where you really want before committing yourselves.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines