West Yellowstone Travel Answers

change location
Joematt's Profile Photo

Suggestion on Yellow Stone trip planning

by Joematt Online Now Feb 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I am planning to go to Yellow s-Stone from Los Angles with family on the first week of August. I will drive to Salt Lake and then to Montana (Grant) since it's the shortest route per some one. Do you agree with this?
I don't know where to stay. Some people suggest stay in different parts few days.
Also I want a place that has kitchen if possible and close to park. This way we can cook break fast and few dinners.

I can change the route if anyone suggests a better way. I don’t have a clue where to stay. I appreciate any suggestions and comments.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Re: Suggestion on Yellow Stone trip planning

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Feb 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM

If I were going to Yellowstone from Salt Lake, I would either drive up to West Yellowstone, a small town near the west entrance to the park and enter from the west side, or I would Drive to Jackson, Wyoming, and enter through the south entrance to the park. This route through Jackson, would also give you a view of the stunning mountains in Grand Teton National Park, which lies just to the south of Yellowstone. Of these two, I am not sure which is the quickest, but I can't see why you would want to go north of the park when you are starting on the SW side of the park.

If you stay inside the park, I would recommend staying in at least two different areas. The beautiful Canyon is on the east side, and most of the geysers and hot pools are on the west, and you won't want to miss either. The grand loop road is 142 miles in length, so if you stay in one place, expect to spend a great deal of time driving.

I do not know what accommodations have cooking facilities in them. I do know that the Lake Hotel and Canyon village, both on the east side have cabins as well as the hotel/motels themselves, and the Old Faithful Snow Lodge on the west side also offers cabins. Mammoth, on the NW also has cabins available. You might contact the park to find out if these cabins have cooking facilities in them. If you go to their web page: http://www.nps.gov/yell
    you can find a link to "email us" on the left side of the page. Maybe you can email them for information.

Reservations in the park are made through Xanterra at this web link, and you will also find a "contact us" link on the right side of their home page: http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

I am sorry that I do not have much information about the cabins. I really should make it a point of finding out next time I am up there. If you need info on what things you would be most interested in seeing, I have an extensive web page for Yellowstone on VT, so visit my pages.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Feb 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I forgot to mention, August is one of the most popular months to visit Yellowstone, so make your reservations as early as possible.

by KimberlyAnn Online Now Feb 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

If you don't mind staying outside the park, then West Yellowstone, close to the west gate is a good location. I found a link for places to stay in West Yellowstone that has a number of motels listed that have kitchenettes available. Each accommodation listed has a link to that accommodation's home page. Check out: westyellowstonechamber.com/s...

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Feb 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I agree with KimberlyAnn about going through Jackson, WY. It's definitely the scenic route, going by the Tetons, but I also think it's the most direct route.

• BrandonComstock's Profile Photo

by BrandonComstock Online Now Feb 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Without a doubt in my mind, the best possible location for your family would be the Rustic Wagon Wheel Campground and Cabins.

(406) 646-7872
    http://www.wagonwheelrv.com/Default.htm

I have sent several people there, they always love it. They are clean, quiet, and very reasonably priced for this town. You could park your RV and be in a cabin a few feet away, close enough for ya?

I also suggest you vist my page, you find a pile o' tips there. For example, West Yellowstone is the best location, and you will need at least 3 days to give the park any real justice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines