West Glamorgan Travel Answers

change location
veigapaula's Profile Photo

Swansea and Cardiff

by veigapaula Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Dear all,

I will be staying at Swansea for three days for a conference and I already checked the local Wales tourism sites for activities.

I am planning to go to the National Waterfront Museum and the National Museum as well as sightseeing at the city centre (castle-ruins-,churches,shops,etc).

Since I will be doing this in one morning because I have to attend (and present a paper) on the afternoon, I have to go back to the conference.

On the second day I was planning to skip it and go to Cardiff. It is one hour by bus, I checked, and I plan to see the National Museum as well.

Would you have more advice on any special cultural item I don't know about?

I already checked buses and those lovely trains that take too long for my schedule so, don't bother telling me about them because I will have no time.

I mean, any museum collection that is smaller and doesnt appear on tourism sites or a castle that is pretty close to go from Cardiff or Swansea?

Any input is valuable. Thanks.
Paula

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Swansea and Cardiff

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Cardiff castle?

http://www.cardiffcastle.com/castle.htm

welshwales.co.uk/swansea_cit... has some info on castles near(ish) to Swansea (scroll down the page).

This one has castles near Cardiff:
    britainexpress.com/wales/car...

I suggest you explore the transport options for the castles which appeal to you; many of them are difficult to get to if you are short of time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 11:15 AM

As for 'special cultural items' which do not appear on websites (all museums etc will appear on main tourism sites), why not visit the VT Cardiff/Swansea pages and look at the 'Off the Beaten Track' tips?

• veigapaula's Profile Photo

Swansea and Cardiff

by veigapaula Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Thank you for your great tips; I will remember them while taking notes for my trip this coming days.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

by aaaarrgh Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 4:18 PM

If you are a Leonardo da Vinci fan, you will know that there is a special exhibition of his drawings at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. They have guided tours of it on Wednesday and Saturday lunchtimes.

You could spend a lot of time at Cardiff Castle, the guided tours of the 'new' 19th century parts are well worth it!

Caerphilly Castle is extremely impressive with lots of information about Welsh hoistory, but Caerphilly town is a bit dreary (though it is only 20 minutes by train on the Valley Lines).

There is also the Museum of Welsh Life, half an hour by bus from Cardiff City centre, which has a museum and an amazing collection of reconstructed old houses, chapels, and shops.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular West Glamorgan Travel Answer Locations