change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Rashdahod's Profile Photo

Franz Josef

Franz Josef Glacier Mar 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM

We are traveling mostly by bus but I cannot find a bus that will take me to Greymouth in the late afternoon from Franz Josef so that we can take the Western Coast Shuttle back to Christchurch the next morning. Any suggestions?

• franz josef glacier trek

Franz Josef Glacier Jan 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

6 of us are going to NZ end March and three are taking helicopter ride to top of glacier and three of us would like to do the trek preferably not the all day one because of our time schedule. Any suggestions please?

1 Answer Jan 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    • Advice on how to end our New Zealand trip

West Coast Aug 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I am trying to plan my New Zealand itinerary for June 2012. I have the first half of the trip planned which starts in Queenstown, detours to Milford Sound, then continues up to Haast. We spend the night in Haast and then plan to see the glaciers. Any help with the following questions, would be much appreciated.
      1. We are on somewhat of a budget but still want to see the glaciers. Is it necessary to pay for a guided trip or can you get a similar idea of them by walking as far as you can without a guide?
      2. After seeing the glaciers, we have three more days and and two nights left. Our ending destination will be Christchurch. Can anyone give me some highlights of the upper half of the south island? We have a rental car and don't mind driving so long as it is around two hours a day which is what we have averaged every day of the trip to this point. We are mainly interested in seeing the beauty of the island.

Thanks in advance.

8 Answers Aug 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    • Budget Lodging in fox glazier

Fox Glacier Jun 19, 2011 at 2:57 AM

We wil be in South Island from 23 Oct - 1st Nov 2011. There will be around 21 -26 adults. We had identified hotels/places to stay in Christchurh, Queenstown, Te Anau and Wanaka. Only one last place remain very elusive, i.e. Fox Glazier.Can someone please recommend us a good view/location but cheap lodging for the above adults preferably staying close together for a night on the 30 Oct? We are budget travellers. What we need is a clean place to sleep as most of the time we will be out of the hotel.As "cheap" is very relative, would appreciate if we can get an overview of the 'cheap' lodging in Fox Glazier or maybe even in FJ Glazier

8 Answers Jun 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Franz Josef - full day or half day tour?

Franz Josef Glacier Feb 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I would like an honest opinion from someone who have been to the FJ glacier with the FJ Guides. I am definitely going to FJ in March in a small group (all small sized ladies) and we need to decide on full day or half day tour. Which is recommended (although the difference is mentioned on the FAQ of the website)?

I am not very fit - I would be able to walk for whole day in shopping malls, but not sure when it comes to glacier what would be the fitness level required.

Please give me some opinion. Thanks very much!

8 Answers Apr 24, 2010 at 4:01 AM
    • Need advice and suggestions on itinerary for West Coast

West Coast Jan 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Hi,

I've came up with a draft itinerary as below. Appreciate some advice / suggestions on things to do along the way, and also any place I've missed out that is worth going along the route I'm traveling. Thanks in advance for your time and advice. :)

Day 1
      Reach Picton by ferry from Wellington around noon
      Travel to Punakaiki - probably stop by nelson on the way
      Stay overnite at Punakaiki

Day 2
      Visit Pancake rocks and nearby attractions. Any suggestions
      Then continue on to Fox Glacier/Franz Joseph Glacier - stop by Greymouth along the way.
      Stay overnite at Greymouth?

Day 3
      After visiting Glacier for half day trekking, then continue journey to Christchurch via Greymouth, then Arthur's Pass.
      Stay overnite somewhere between Greymouth and Christchurch?

Day 4
      Continue to Christchurch.
      Visit attractions in Christchurch

Day 5
      Day trip to Hanmer Springs? or some other place worth going? Please suggest.

Day 6.
      Fly back home from Christchurch.

1 Answer Jan 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    • Buses!

Westport Dec 15, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Im in Auckland, and want to book a bus online for 1 adult and 2 kids to bus from westport to christchurch before xmas but cant find a direct bus/shutle service.. can you help!?

3 Answers Apr 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM
    • Which track is highly recommended in Fox Glacier region?

Fox Glacier Dec 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a hike (or combination of few short walks) for a total of about 90 minutes in duration. Can anyone recommend me which one is best for scenery?

There are a good selection of tracks here:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

My initial pick is either Lake Matheson or The Fox Glacier Valley walk. Not sure which one is better, or if there is any better ones...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do them all...

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Dec 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    • Which track is highly recommended in Franz Josef Glacier region?

Franz Josef Glacier Dec 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a hike (or combination of few short walks) for a total of about 90 minutes in duration. Can anyone recommend me which one is best for scenery?

There are a good selection of tracks here:

doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea...

Unfortunately, I don't have time to do them all...

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    • JeffJordan's Profile Photo

Greymouth - Arriving by train, no car - What's the best way to spend the day there?

Greymouth Dec 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM

What's the best way to spend the day in or around Greymouth without a car?

Thanks,
      Jeff

2 Answers Dec 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    • Overnight in Fox Glacier or Franz Josef?

Franz Josef Glacier Feb 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Hi, we will be driving from Queenstown to Greymouth and have been advised to stop along the way at one of the glaciers. Does anyone know which one might be best for an overnight stay?

7 Answers Feb 11, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    • JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Best time for photographs

Franz Josef Glacier Nov 10, 2008 at 9:23 PM

We're considering a heli-hike on the Franz Josef Glacier or a day walk on Fox Glacier. What time of day, in general, would provide the best views? Does the weather (and visibility) deteriorate later in the day, or do you generally find poor weather conditions early in the morning?
      Sissi made a good point in an earlier forum about time of day not really being applicable for heli-hikes as it's so high up, while early morning would give better photo opportunities with fewer shadows etc.
      Is this still the reigning opinion? Any other experiences, pearls of wisdom?
      Thanks.

42 Answers Feb 18, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    • Gillespies Beach

West Coast Aug 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Greetings,

My wife and I will be spending several days at Fox Glacier in late November and would like to hike Gillespies Beach to view and photograph fur seals (we keep a resptful distance). I have heard it is only hikable during certain times of the day due to tides. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, if there are any other beach hikes in the area that are worthwhile for photography I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
      Glen

3 Answers Aug 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    • Best Wetsern Hotels

Hokitika Oct 2, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Do you still belong to Best Western group, or another group or are you independent. I stayed at the Shining Star chalets in 2003.

• swdke's Profile Photo

Fox Glacier: Is there a better time of day to take a helihike trip?

Fox Glacier May 3, 2007 at 8:07 AM

I am interested in information regarding a Helihike trip on the Fox glacier. One possible date is around December 2nd. Is there a "best" time of day to take a tour? Like morning vs. afternoon. I realize the trips don't go if the weather is bad. I had read where someone stated that the morning trip might be best. Unfortunately, I think an afternoon trip would best fit our schedule, but will change plans as necessary. What do you recommend for this time of year? Thank you. Steve

2 Answers May 9, 2007 at 5:16 PM
    • HIV Testing in Australia

West Coast Jan 19, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Hey,
      Does anyone know where an English traveller could get a HIV test down the west coast of Australia.
      Cheers for ur help,
      kc

2 Answers Jan 19, 2007 at 8:34 PM
    • Help contact store in Hokitika

Hokitika Nov 15, 2006 at 9:04 PM

We just returned from a fabulous month in New Zealand. While in Hokitika I was looking seriously at a piece of flowered greenstone. I did not get it, but now am regreting that decision. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the store.

I believe the store I'm looking for was on the west side of Revell St, south of
      Weld. It was a very nice store that sold only jade, and had 4 separate rooms.

If anyone could provide me with the name of the store, and either an e-mail or phone number, I would greatly appreciate it.

4 Answers Dec 3, 2006 at 4:42 PM
    • Climbing

Mount Aspiring National Park Aug 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM

Need someone to climb Mt Aspiring March - April 2007.
      No Mountineering experience.
      Rock Climbing and Ski Touring in Australia for years. Cant afford500 a day for a guide any ideas?

4 Answers Aug 30, 2006 at 7:19 PM
    • Choosing between glaciers

Fox Glacier Feb 28, 2004 at 5:59 PM

I don't have time to visit both Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers. I would like to do a heli-hike of one. Which one would be best for this type of activity?

3 Answers Mar 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM