West Coast Travel Answers

change location

Need advice and suggestions on itinerary for West Coast

by ph7 Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Hi,

I've came up with a draft itinerary as below. Appreciate some advice / suggestions on things to do along the way, and also any place I've missed out that is worth going along the route I'm traveling. Thanks in advance for your time and advice. :)

Day 1
Reach Picton by ferry from Wellington around noon
Travel to Punakaiki - probably stop by nelson on the way
Stay overnite at Punakaiki

Day 2
Visit Pancake rocks and nearby attractions. Any suggestions
Then continue on to Fox Glacier/Franz Joseph Glacier - stop by Greymouth along the way.
Stay overnite at Greymouth?

Day 3
After visiting Glacier for half day trekking, then continue journey to Christchurch via Greymouth, then Arthur's Pass.
Stay overnite somewhere between Greymouth and Christchurch?

Day 4
Continue to Christchurch.
Visit attractions in Christchurch

Day 5
Day trip to Hanmer Springs? or some other place worth going? Please suggest.

Day 6.
Fly back home from Christchurch.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Need advice and suggestions on itinerary for West Coast

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I see that you have limited time, so will not suggest you anything north of Westport although I think Karamea is the best place in the wild West. It is just too far off the beaten path if you have just some days for your whole programme.

But before you go to Punakaiki you should drive a detour from Westport to Carters Beach and Cape Foulwind (seal colony and Bay House = fab café with even better view), and from there back onto SH 6.

Between Picton and Nelson you have, of course the Marlborough Sounds, at at least a stop in Havelock should be possible.

The faster way would, of course, be to turn inland in Havelock, down to SH 63, and drive through the Wairau Valley to St. Arnaud. This is the best access to Nelson Lakes National Park, fantastic landscape, a lake (Lake Rotoiti) and a great nature walk by the lake where you would almost certainly encounter kaka, a rare parrot species, and other beautiful birds.

You would reach the Buller valley back at Howard Junction - that is before it becomes really spectacular, with winding road, overhanging rocks, etc. Also a swing bridge to walk on west of Murchison. Near Lyell the Lyell Walkway to an old gold mining town (nothing left of the houses, just gold mining stuff and a cemetery) in the middle of a forest.

There are some lookouts along the road before and after the Pancake Rocks. Also walks in the Paparoa National Park. But with your limted time I would just do a short one. South of Greymouth is a commercial replica gold town named Shantytown. Inland would be another mining town, but a real one, and former coal mining, you could combine this with a visit to a strange little place named Blackball. Next would be Hokitika where I would surely not miss to have a stroll along the black sandy beach. Island from there would be the small but beautiful Hokitika Gorge. (But this would be 25 km one way.) Again further south you should stop in Ross and have a look at the historic (and still working) gold fields. In Harihari you can see a historic pioneer's airplane (along the main road, short stop sufficient).

Whataroa is the place where the tours to the Okarito Lagoon start. This is the only breeding place of white herons, they share the breeding grounds with royal spoonbills and black shags. The area is only accessible by boat, so you have to book a tour in Whataroa. If you are there at the right time of the year this is an unforgettable experience.

Also a side trip to the township of Okarito is well worth the effort.

Do not stay overnight in Greymouth but right in the township of Franz Josef or Fox, or you would waste time and petrol.

You should stay overnight between Greymouth and Chch, best in Arthur's Pass. The next morning you could do one of the great walks in this area, best to Devil's Punchbowl if the track is open. Then do not miss to stop and walk to the rocks of Castle Hill further down the road. Before Arthur's Pass stop at the tavern in Jacksons, have a whitebait pattie, and just marvel in the historic building and the landscape (if it is not pouring with rain... ;-)))

A day in Christchurch is, of course, not enough. But well, you cannot have it all.

Although Hanmer Springs is great I suggest you rather make a day trip to Banks Peninsula including Akaroa.

You find a lot more info on my VT pages, most about the West Coast is listed on a proper West Coast page, not split up into several pages. You find a lot about Banks Peninsula on my Akaroa page, and Christchurch, of course, under Christchurch. On my intro page you find a list of the absolute must-see places in Chch.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular West Coast Travel Answer Locations