Wellington Region Travel Answers

change location
AnnPuddu's Profile Photo

where to after wellington??

by AnnPuddu Online Now May 17, 2006 at 10:02 PM

just arrived in wellington; plan to stay for three or four days...i'd like to see as much of north island as possible in about ten days/two weeks. i've been told to go up to napier...to taupo (instead of staying in rotorua) to the coromandel peninsular...bay of islands, paiheia...does this sound feasible? i'm also wondering if i can get up to the northwest tip of north island easily?

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...i've been taking intercity and newman's buses and they are terrific...don't have a car and apparently don't need one!

traveling on south island has been tremendously easy and comfortable...look forward to seeing as much of north island as possible!

thanks again for help.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

RE: where to after wellington??

by kiwigal_1 Online Now May 17, 2006 at 10:24 PM

Hi there! Welcome to the North Island. I hope the weather improves for you while you are here. From Wellington you will probably have two options to travel north. Either take the bus up to Napier or the Palmerston North route. Personally I would choose the Napier route and then travel to taupo from there. I think you should go to Rotorua and maybe consider spending a night there. Coromandel is a nice place (nicer in summer than winter but some good bush/ beach walks like Cathedral Cove), then head up to Auckland and then switch buses to go to the bay of Islands which is where Paihia is (take a ferry across to Russell for the day and go to Waitangi) then you can get another bus to take you right up to Cape Reinga at the northern tip of the north island. To really do this trip justice you will need a week at the very least (but hopefully you have longer than that). Happy to help with any questions you may have or you may like to take a look at some of the regional/city pages I have created on the places you are planning to visit in the North Island.

Cheers,
    Rhianon

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Wellington Region Travel Answer Locations