Wellington Travel Answers

change location

Quickest way to get to Te Papa Museum from the Wellington Airport

by scikaren Online Now Dec 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I am arriving from Auckland into the Wellington Airport at 2:40 in the afternoon and want to go to the Te Papa Museum that closes at 6 pm. Is it feasible to go directly to the Te Papa Museum and have them hold our luggage? Would it be better to go to the Wellington Rydges hotel first? Would a taxi be the best way or is there a bus from the airport that would go near the museum? Karen Kohn

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Quickest way to get to Te Papa Museum from the Wellington Airport

by Kuskiwi Online Now Dec 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Wellington is relatively compact and your hotel (if it is the Featherston St one) is very close but to save time I'd get a taxi into the hotel and check in and get rid of the luggage etc then taxi to Te Papa. You actually could walk it is quite close but this way you would have more time at Te Papa. There is a left luggage facility at Te Papa but it is small and designed for coats and small backpacks. Afterwards without luggage you could walk back along the waterfront and perhaps stop for coffee and enjoy the views.
    Shuttles also come in from the airport but you are never sure how long you may have waste going to other hotels first - with two a taxi is just as cheap.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Quickest way to get to Te Papa Museum from the Wellington Airport

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

The #91 airport bus passes not very far from Te Papa at Courtenay Place and even closer to the Rydges Hotel (Featherson St), on Lambton Quay. You could walk to Te Papa with your luggage, they would store it for you. But it is, as said a longer walk than from Courtenay Place to Te Papa.

It is quite a longish walk from the hotel to Te Papa if you are in a hurry.

I suggest you take the airport bus and check in at the hotel first. This bus travels rather fast to the city. Of course, a taxi is faster as it starts right in the moment you board it, and it is not very expensive, as the trip from the airport to the city is rather short, it takes about 20 minutes by bus. Back on Lambton Quay you can board about any bus passing as this is the main route from the railway station to Courtenay Place. You would walk down Taranaki Street to the museum.

Well, if you decide to take a taxi to see as much as possible at Te Papa I would go straight to the museum, store the luggage there and then take a taxi from there to the hotel as well. If you have only a trolley you can walk to the hotel along the waterfront.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines