Wellington Travel Answers

change location
grant1313's Profile Photo

6 days in Wellington - what should we do??

by grant1313 Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Hi
My wife and I are flying to Wellington at the end of September and have 6 days (5 nights) till we return - I am planning to spend the first 2 nights and the last in Wellington and the other 2 nights elsewhere.
I would really appreciate suggestions as to where we should go - I thought of Taupo but it seems to be a long drive for only a couple of nights, can you please help me out here
Thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: 6 days in Wellington - what should we do??

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Although you can easily spend 6 days in Wellington because there is so much to see and do, not just in the city but also in the outskirts (Petone, Hutt Valley, Eastbourne, Matiu/Somes Island, Seal Coast, Island and Owhiro Bays; etc.). In the city you have attractions that require a lot of time, as Te Papa and Karori Wildlife Park which changes its name every now and then... (half a day each).

I agree, Taupo is far away for two nights only. Plus you have the risk of late snowfall on the Desert Road. The scenery, however, is spectacular.

If you are prepared to drive that far you could also consider Napier which as a town itself is already worth the visit.

My suggestion would be to travel to the Wairarapa, explore the Martinborough region, drive to Cape Palliser and Castlepoint, and on this roundtrip you can also visit Mt. Bruce, another great wildlife sanctuary where you can see dozens of kaka and some takahe. (Just forget about Stonehenge Aotearoa, it is ridiculous.) And do not miss to indulge in the delicacies of the French bakery in Greytown - also a good place to stay for the night - and taste some wines in and around Martinborough.

In summertime another good trip would be along the north-west coast towards New Plymouth, as there are marvellous beaches nearly along the entire route, Foxton with its great murals a well-worthy stop for several hours, and Kapiti Island a great day trip. But well, it would not be my first choice in September.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines