Wellington Travel Answers

change location

Bike tours and other things in Wellington

by THEHED Online Now Dec 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM

My wife and I will be visiting Wellington in February for the NZI Sevens rugby match. We'll be staying at a hotel near the Botanical Gradens and Anderson Park. We are in town but for a few days (6 days I believe) and two of those days will be full of rugby revelry, and a good amount of jet lag, I suppose.

We will see Te Papa, and some other sights I'm sure.

I am interested in bike tours of Wellington and the nearby area. Does anyone know of a reputable bike tour operator in Wellington? I've checked a few websites...but they ALL make themselves seem great. I am looking for some local or travelers with good experiences with bike tour companies.

Sorry it's a bit wordy, my first nigth shift of the week.

Thank you

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Bike tours and other things in Wellington

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 29, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Sorry, can't help you with the operators. Just bicycle tours are not my first thought when I think of Wellington. As a European I consider the city highly unsuitable for cycling with its narrow roads and dense traffic. Plus, it is extremely hilly. Many cyclists out at Oriental Bay though. However, if you are fit and do not mind a lot of climbing sections, you can get on the many MTB trails they have in the area. In Wellington there is a MTB park in Karori (Makara Peak), so just over the hill from your accommodation.

As for the tour operators: Should they advertise their businesses by writing: "I am not the best but..."??? ;-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines