Wellington Travel Answers

change location

phone services

by dmiller048 Online Now Nov 15, 2006 at 11:00 PM

Hi Friends,

I'm moving from the US to Wellington soon, and I'm curious to know if anyone has advice on phone services. For example, I've heard that I can sign up for a digital phone service (e.g., Vonage) while I'm still in the US now and then use that same phone number and phone service while we're living in NZ. That way, we call easily and inexpensively phone friends and family in the US and they can phone us in NZ. I've also heard that it's cheap and easy just to use calling cards.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Chellenz's Profile Photo

RE: RE: phone services

by Chellenz Online Now Nov 19, 2006 at 4:29 AM

usually you can get a friends and family thing where you choose a country you call all the time and you will get cheaper rates thats just through Telecom...normal phone provider in n.z...
    The same as here in Aussie you can get calling cards from dairy corner shop that you use from your home phone that gives you cheap calling rates....I am sure you will be fine and will work it out when you get there!
    try doing a google search for telecom and have a look at there deals/packages that they do.

good like Michelle

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: phone services

by Petuchovas Online Now Nov 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Hi, I moved to Wellington from the states two years ago. I have an old iphone and bought a sim card with one of the main carriers, topped it up with money and still use it as a prepay phone. The best deals are with 2 degrees, you can check out their website
    2degreesmobile.co.nz
    But be aware not all phones will accept the sim cards. In the begining I bought phone cards to call home as they are very cheap, but now I only use Skype.

• abeorch's Profile Photo

Re: phone services

by abeorch Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I used Skype with a SkypeIn number in the UK (you can get the same for the US) that gives you a local number in the US that your friends can call that will route to your PC. Skype is also a cheap way to return the calls.

For just cheap outgoing calls you can buy calling cards but that doesn't give you option of cheap incoming calls.

Broadband deals in NZ are pretty crap in comparison to the rest of the world but if you are there for a while and need Internet then you're going to be paying for that anyway. Wellington is the Internet capital of NZ. I haven't used it myself but There are a few publicaly available Wi-Fi networks that you may be able to use (cafenet.co.nz). I haven't used them myself but check them out.

If you aren't going to be in NZ for a year or so you could get Skype to forward your calls to a Pay as you go Mobile in NZ (Vodadfone and 2degrees are GSM like AT&T).

• Re: phone services

by stellaalley Online Now Sep 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM

So far, so good. I just got my sonacall card and am pleased with the results. Thank you for charging a decent rate for long distance pinless calls which I make often. The excellent feature that saves me time and trouble when calling from my home phone. and get to recharging the card online only on sonacall.com
    sonacall.com/calling-card-pa...

• edw09rd's Profile Photo

Re: phone services

by edw09rd Online Now Dec 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

If you want cheap and convenient call can advise calling cards. I always use them when I go on a trip. It's simple: you buy the card, insert the SIM card and calling, a trick that can be used multiple phone numbersby controlling them through the site. For an example of how this works can see here comfi.com/p/Help-Structure.h...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines