Wellington Travel Answers

change location

Hip places to stay??

by meesolab Online Now Mar 7, 2006 at 8:28 AM

I am traveling to New Zealand and will be in Wellington on the first few days of April, for a business and pleasure trip. Can anyone recommend a few nice/unique hotels to stay at? I am not really searching for Luxury, just nice accommodations in an area that is close to some bars and restaurants that I can entertain at? …Someplace younger and hipper than the old Victorian numbers that seem to be so prevalent. As always, all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Lyneil's Profile Photo

RE: Hip places to stay??

by Lyneil Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 4:25 PM

Hiya! Go take a look here....http://www.museumhotel.co.nz/
    I have stayed in this hotel a few times and loved it. NZ$196 ( you could find it cheaper online) is not in the luxury hotel class for Wellington at all and not many hotels can be had for much less. Also stay at The Duxton reasonably often, its great as all rooms have harbour views. Remember that central Wellington is not enormous, we never use our car when staying there, walk everywhere and all mid city hotels are in amongst 100's of cafes, bars and restaurants. Just as a matter of interest, Wellington has the most cafes/restaurants per head of population in the world! And they are fabulous!
    I adore that city and we are looking at relocating there...have a great time. :)

Cheers...Lyn

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Hip places to stay??

by MrsJes Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 7:32 PM

I book travel for my job every day - and if you want somewhere close to bars and restaurants then you should be looking in the Courtenay Place region of wellington...
    Try googling: Cambridge Hotel (has both hotel and backpackers with a very busy bar full of locals underneath). J Street Hotel aka Quest on Johnston St or anything near Te Papa (museum hotel) - or Oriental Parade.
    Good Luck!

• Waiheke's Profile Photo

RE: Hip places to stay??

by Waiheke Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 3:48 PM

I dont know about "hip" but last time I was in Wellington I stayed at the Comfort Hotel Wellington, right on Cuba Street with its cafes and restaurants.
    See: ki-wi.co.nz/wellington_hotel...

If you want a nice restaurant try Logan Brown only a couple of hundred metres from the hotel.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines