Wellington Travel Answers

change location

For a first time visitor

by Stephanie557 Online Now Mar 6, 2006 at 1:30 PM

I'm from Singapore and planning on going to NZ for holiday with a friend. Its our first time visiting New Zealand and we've decided on Wellington.

-> For a first time visit to New Zealand on a budget trip, is Wellington realisticly the best idea or do you recommend another city in New Zealand?

-> Our budget for this trip (6days) is 1,028.14 NZD per person. Is that enough for a simple 6 day stay in Wellington?

-> Whats the weather like in Wellington toward end March?

-> We do not know anyone in NZ so basically we have to find our way around on our own. Is it relatively safe and easy to find our way in and around Wellington?

Please help, thanx. =)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: For a first time visitor

by hollyday Online Now Mar 10, 2006 at 1:58 AM

I think you will manage quite nicely in Wellington on1,000 per person for a week. Check out www.wotif.com for some discounted hotel rates, you should find plenty there to suit your budget especially if two or more are able to share a room or apartment.

Wellington is quite a small city and is easy to get around on foot. There are plenty of buses and trains to take you further afield if needed.

The weather in New Zealand is always a gamble, this summer has been very erratic with freezing cold days and then sweltering hot days. Just be sure to bring something warm just in case the weather turns cold during your visit but otherwise expect it to be warm enough for t-shirts & jeans during the daylight hours and a bit cooler at night.

New Zealand is a relatively safe destination but don't forget to use your usual safety precautions, there is crime here so don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • doverox's Profile Photo

RE: For a first time visitor

by doverox Online Now Mar 22, 2006 at 1:49 PM

I spent 2 weeks on the North Island in November and only spent1000 US including accomodations. Wellington was awesome and less expensive than Auckland by far.

• RE: For a first time visitor

by amariel Online Now Aug 11, 2006 at 8:06 AM

I lived in Wellington for a year. Wellington is a safe and easy city, you should not have any problems getting around. However, the weather is usually questionable. There are several backpacker hostels in the city, I would suggest Rosemere, it is inexpensive and you will meet many other travelers there looking to see the city. Make sure to spend some time looking in the shops on Cuba street, Manners mall, Courtenay place and Lambton Quay. You should also visit Te Papa- the national museum. I would also encourage you to go to the Botanical Gardens- they are magnificent.
    As for your budget, I believe it will suffice. You should be warned, though, that Wellington is one of the absolute most expensive cities in New Zealand. Food and drink is very expensive. So are taxis. Don't be afraid to use the bus system and the cable car. If I were you, I would stop in at a Star Mart and buy a week's bus pass. That way, you can get around the city cheaply and easily. There are bus stops everywhere, and at every bus stop is a timetable and course route.
    Best of luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines