Weimar Travel Answers

change location
Graceful's Profile Photo

some questions on Weimar and Germany in general

by Graceful Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 7:22 PM

HI! i will be in weinmar taking an intensive german course in august. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some things:

How do germans usually dress? is it more casual or elegant, and what would a university student wear? In Italy, most university students do not wear shorts, even if the weather is over 30+ degrees (although this year i saw exceptions) and are generally conservative. I've been told that Germans are generally more casual, but maybe in an academic setting its different?

Are prepaid SIM cards for phones as easy to get and Inexpensive in Germany as they are in Italy (ie 5 euro for a sim card with 5 euro of traffic)? Do i need anything other than an ID?

Are coin laundry services common in Germany? I have not recieved a response from the university about what is(n't) available in the student dormitories, so i was wondering if hours of hand washing my clothes is in my future...

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a Deutsch Bank in Weinmar (and where is it)?

Thanks for the help... possibly more questions to come!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Weissdorn's Profile Photo

RE: some questions on Weimar and Germany in general

by Weissdorn Online Now Jul 31, 2005 at 9:26 PM

Because I'm long out of the student age, I had to ask a girlfriend, who told me, "come as you are!". There isn't either a formal or informal dress could, except shirts and shoes are a must. Other than that you can wear shorts, belly free, low rider jeans, so everyone can see your "antlers" hovering over your derrière. The motto seems to be "wear what you care to". Inofficially, though, anything that even remotely resembles something that would mark you as a member of a neo right-wing movement is the worst faux pax that you could make (which you probably don't have in your wardrobe anyway), would be, for example, a light green bomber jacket, army camoflauge pants, and marine boots with white tennis shoe laces (symbolizes 'White Power'). You would also have to be sporting a crew-cut, a sleeveless T-shirt and have a stupid tatoo on your arm which would read something like "Sieg Heil!". In that case I think you might get chased from the campus, but otherwise....
    Pre-paid sim cards are available in filling stations, at kiosks and sometimes even in super markets. Even cheaper are pre-paid phone cards which you can get in I-net cafés, which can let you, for example, phone home to Russia for 3 Cent per minute, but from the i-net café phone booths.
    Laundramats can be found in any mid-size to large city, and you just have to look in the phone book under "Waschsaloon". My girlfriend, who attends Wolfgang von Goethe University in Frankfurt says that some dorms have a coin-operated machine in the cellar, while others do not have one at all.
    The Dresdner Bank is on the Steubenstraße 15 in Weimar.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines