Waterford Travel Answers

change location
Ronandnancypope's Profile Photo

Waterford Factory - NEW opening June 1, 2010

by Ronandnancypope Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 10:40 AM

We are arriving on the Queen Victoria Cruise in Cobn, Ireland on July 24th, 2010 and wish to take the Water Factory Tour in Waterford.
QUESTION:
Since the ship does not have a scheduled tour - How do we get from the Ship to Waterford City to be able to take the Waterford Factory Tour? Is it possible to arrange transportation through an agency such as Virtual Tourist ?

Ronald Pope - seabeepope@yahoo.com
Plano, Texas USA

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Waterford Factory - NEW opening June 1, 2010

by Odinnthor Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The above response is correct.

Although I have done tours in the area before, I have not done one fron Cobh, but having worked both cruises and tours, - I looked. I have no personal knowledge of this tour operator, but they appear to be used by most all the cruise ships that dock in Cobh. Scroll down to the private tours, and you will se that they can arrange for a tour to Waterford. Contact them and explain what you want and how many people.

http://www.lynotttours.com/b-ishore.htm

Also consider this. If it turns out to be too expensive to arrange a private tour, talk to the Cruise Director about what you would like to do there, and ask him to spread the word. When I was a CD, I would have a message board with such requests. Also talk to your fellow passengers and see if you can recruit a few to share the cost of a private tour. I used to pair up some passengers for just such a thing.

I note that the Blarney/Kinsale tour tends to sell out. You can suggest to those that want to do Blarney and Kinsale, that your private tour will do those as well, just add Waterford.

If you follow this, you should be able to have your cake (tour) and eat it too...good luck.....d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM

I'm not sure how much time your ship will be docked in Cobh but it seems to me that the best way is to take the train to Cork. This takes 25 minutes.

irishrail.ie/your_journey/ti...

From Cork you can get the bus to Waterford. A little over 2 hours

buseireann.ie/pdf/1214215081...

• FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo

by FridgeMagnet Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 6:08 AM

The bus station in Waterford is within easy walking distance to the new Waterford Crystal Centre.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jun 2, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Another possibility would be to hire a car and drive yourself, (that is if you have a valid driving licence and are prepared to drive on the left). It's a journey of 75 miles and should take about 2 hours. For route see www.aaireland.ie, click on Ireland, then click on route planning and enter your start and end points.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM

OK lads, not bad advice but here's the deal from a Waterford person on all points raised:
    1. The Waterford Crystal factory closed down over a year ago and most of the glass is now manufactured in Poland.
    2. Two weeks ago a new visitor centre opened in the City Centre on the Mall. It is stunning and well worth a visit. Here you can see most of the things you used to be able to see in the old factory, including the cutting and blowing of glass.
    3. Specially commissioned pieces of crystal are still made at this centre and not in Poland.
    4. There is no way that you could include a trip to Waterford with one that is going to Kinsale and Blarney unless you were overnighting.
    5. I would suggest a trip to Waterford via the almost equally stunning Jameson distillery in Midleton which is a town that you will pass en route to Waterford from Cork. I was there 2 weeks ago and will write a tip on it later today. Plan to spend about two hours there which will allow you to take in the old distillery tour and the whiskey tasting. Then drive on to Waterford which is a little over an hour from Midleton. After you have been to the Waterford Crystal centre, make time to go across the road to visit the original 10th century Reginald's Tower. Remember that Waterford is the oldest City in the British Isles and that tower marks part of the start of it all. It now houses a museum.
    6. To get to Waterford either hire a car or else contact a local taxi company and agree a price with them. I can highly recommend the Waterford Family firm of Falconers. They have both a taxi company and a limo service and cater to visiting dignatories, weddings, and all major events as well as to the ordinary public. You can tell them that I (Gabrielle Dalton) recommended them.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Hey Gabrielle, thanks for the update on the factory. I feel strangely enough, a sense of loss. I was under the impression that it had been renovated into a more tourist friendly place. Granted, it has been a while. On my Ireland tours, it was a huge favorite of the women. (The men could not care less...)

Anyway, fond memories there and the town, - and the region. Thanks again...d:o)

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM

It was a huge loss to the City. For as long as I can remember it was the stalwart of many Waterford people, and almost the biggest employer in the Country. The employees there were paid relatively staggering salaries which, of course, eventually contributed to the downfall of the factory which once employed over 4,000 people. Because of the factory, Waterford never really knew the poverty that other Irish cities and towns experienced.......until now, that is.

I haven']t been into the new centre yet but as soon as I do I'll tell you all about it. From the outside it looks amazing and of course has helped retain part of a great history.

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Yes Keti.

The irony of it all is that when the factory was first regenerated they brought over craftsmen from Poland and the Czech Republic to teach the Waterford guys how to make the crystal. Now it has turned full circle and the work has gone back to Poland.

In fairness, I think perhaps the workers here could not possibly have expected to maintain the levels of the salaries they were paid. The crystal just got too expensive. They were also heavily reliant on American tourism and that took a huge hit after 9/11.

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Oh, by the way, the original poster here has cont5acted me to say he has already got all the info he wanted.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines