Waterford Travel Answers

change location
notlistening's Profile Photo

Eating out in Waterford

by notlistening Online Now Jan 27, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Hi All,

There is a small group of six coming to Waterford this summer for a long weekend. We are slowly planning our trip and as some of us have never been to Ireland we wanted to go a little bit authentic when we are eating and drinking ;) out. I am after some advise from the locals as usually they know places that are good, not too expensive and traditional. Any other recommendation of things to do would also be great but that is not essential.

Thanks,

Tom

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pure1942's Profile Photo

Re: Eating out in Waterford

by pure1942 Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Hi,
    My favourite restaurant in Waterford is Fitzpatricks on the Cork Rd. Good food and has great value early bird menus. www.fitzpatricksmanorlodge.com/

Waterford has a good nightlife. Some of my favourite bars are Geoffs, Harvey's and the Kazbar.

During the day you can gead out to the seaside town of Tramore or rent a car and head along the coastal road towards Dungarvan (Waterford's second biggest town). The scenery on the way is fantastic and you can stop off in little coastal towns like Stradbally, Annestown and Bunmahon. I have more info on my Dungarvan pages so feel free to have a look. "Dungarvan Co. Waterford" - Dungarvan by pure1942
    There are some great pubs and resstaurants in Dungarvan too...I live here so I should know :)
    Coastal road takes over bout 1 and 1/2 hours but new main road takes under an hour.
    Enjoy
    Brian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Re: Eating out in Waterford

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now May 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM

In the city centre there is no doubt but that the most authentic place is T & H Doolan's in George's Street. It's oone of Ireland's oldest pubs, serves great food all day, and has traditional (live) music at night. The food is cheap (bar food prices about €10.00 for a main course).

As Brian said, Fitzpatrick's is very good (and the building very pretty) but they don't have on site entertainment.

If you head to Brian's town, Dungarvan, I must encourage you to try The Tannery. It is known to be one of the best restaurants in Ireland - again, no live entertainment though here the food is an entertainment in itself.

I have tips on these places on my Waterford and Dungarvan pages.

As a seaside eatery I recommend the Spinnaker in Dunmore east for divine seafood in a traditional Irish Pub setting, owned and run by locals. You will also get plenty of traditional music in Dunmore East.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines