Waterford Travel Answers

change location
miselemeas's Profile Photo

WEDDING IN JULY FAITHLEGG - ALTERNATIVE ACCOMMODATION THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK?

by miselemeas Online Now Apr 30, 2006 at 7:18 AM

Hi Guys
Am invited to a wedding in Faithlegg House in July. However, overnight rates pretty steep at €99 per person sharing. Can anyone suggest a hotel or B & B nearby where we can put our heads down for the night? I see from the website that there is a ferry going over to the hotel. Does anyone know what the story is about coming back from the hotel at night? Much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

RE: WEDDING IN JULY FAITHLEGG - ALTERNATIVE ACCOMMODATION THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK?

by zuriga Online Now Apr 30, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Check out www.smoothhound.co.uk or www2stay.com. Both sites have a good listing of B&Bs of all types.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • donalh's Profile Photo

RE: WEDDING IN JULY FAITHLEGG - ALTERNATIVE ACCOMMODATION THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK?

by donalh Online Now Apr 30, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Ahem.........the ferry doesn't quite go to the hotel - you need to get off in Rosslare and drive the rest of the way :-) Something to do with the land being in the way, don't ask me !!!

You are very close to Waterford there so there is no shortage of B&B's - although €99 pps in Faithlegg seems like a pretty good deal to me.

• miselemeas's Profile Photo

RE: RE: WEDDING IN JULY FAITHLEGG - ALTERNATIVE ACCOMMODATION THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK?

by miselemeas Online Now Apr 30, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Thanx - actually I am coming from Dublin, but the bride-to-be said in the "blurb" she sent with the invitation that there is a ferry over to the hotel - wasn't referring to the Rosslare Ferry. Somebody told me it is on an island.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: RE: WEDDING IN JULY FAITHLEGG - ALTERNATIVE ACCOMMODATION THAT WONT BREAK THE BANK?

by orlikins Online Now May 1, 2006 at 3:50 AM

90-100 quid is a pretty standard rate for wedding guests staying overnight.

Less glamourous hotels charge about the same if not a little more. The last wedding I was at was in Tullamore where the hotel charged €110 for guests to stay the night which was pretty cheeky considering it would not be in the same class as Faithlegg. Needless to say, hardly anyone took up that offer and we all stayed in local B&Bs!

Anyhoo... if you are able to take someone with you, that should defray the cost a little?

Besides, the bride is really supposed to provide information on other accomodation options in the area, after all one cannot expect everyone to be able to stay in the hotel. Not everyone can afford it on top of all the other expenses involved in attending a wedding.

If you can get together with a couple of other guests, you may be able to negotiate a deal with one of the local B&Bs or sthg? No harm trying :-)

• orlikins's Profile Photo

by orlikins Online Now May 1, 2006 at 3:55 AM

If you're driving from Dublin via Waterford city, then you don't need the ferry. You'd be going towards Passage East where there is a ferry terminal but you would not have to actually use it - that is the impression I'm getting from the website anyway.

• miselemeas's Profile Photo

by miselemeas Online Now May 1, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for the help.

Actually I did feel that 99 euros each (198 for 2)for B&B is expensive as a special rate for guests, so I have now booked Woodlands Hotel for 114 incl breakfast for 2.

Wedding in Wexford, hence the Passage East ferry thing which I now understand, so can come back directly from Waterford afterwards.

Sorted and thanks to all!

• kiki_irl's Profile Photo

by kiki_irl Online Now Mar 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Just for the record, there is an island with a ferry going across. But that's Waterford Castle. Woodlands is a nice hotel, great location. And on the Faithlegg side of town - well done!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines