Waterford Travel Answers

change location

Waterford City; Pubs

by dclairge Online Now Aug 26, 2004 at 7:01 AM

Visited Waterford City many times over the past 15 years and like the city a lot - but the one thing that has eluded me so far is finding a pub I really like. Now I know these things are pretty subjective - different strokes for different folks and all that - but am willing to go on any recommendations, even if it means trying a couple of dozen pubs or more! So if you're a local or have visited the city let me know of your favourite pubs...I'll try them all if I can! Travelling to Waterford on Sat 28th Aug. many thanks, D.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

Re: Waterford City; Pubs

by orlikins Online Now Aug 28, 2004 at 9:25 AM

I normally would be able to reel off a couple of pubs in any irish city - i checked my waterford page, and I only have been to one nightclub there apparently - i suppose it was because i was only down there for day trips, which meant i could'nt drink & drive. It doesnt have the same reputation as Kilkenny as being a cracking nightspot. have you gone beyond the city centre for a decent pub? Seeing as you have been there so often, you must know some locals who can take you under your wing and get locked in true Waaaaaaaaatherford style! :-) Have fun! Orla

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Moloney's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Waterford City; Pubs

by Moloney Online Now Aug 31, 2004 at 2:00 AM

There is no question about it - you HAVE to have a pint in Downes on (I think) Vulcan St. Go along the quay - away from Reginald's Tower, walk for about 10 mins and turn up left at Vulcan. 50 yards uphill and there's Downes on your right. If anything can be said to have 'character', it's this 200+ year old watering hole. Go have a pint there. Very close by and very small, Nells on the quay is a great spot too. Old-style setting again with a few nice eldritch touches. Owner Mick - nice bloke - will ask you how you are. Good Luck

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Waterford City; Pubs

by SabrinaSummerville Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Downes is on Thomas Hill - terrific old world place with tons of character.

Try Geoffs, too, for something similar - it's in John Street.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines