Washington D.C.

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• what to bring & what to see

Washington D.C. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

what should I bring (I'm going in the middle of July) and what should we visit for young kinds (around 10 y.o.)?

Thanks
      Rosalie

3 Answers Apr 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    • violette_ca's Profile Photo

Good beer brewery not too far from the mall

Washington D.C. Apr 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hi, Can someone tell me where i can find artisanal beer in Washington Dc? Beer brewery where we can eat with a good artisanal beer. We will be in Washington in may. We would like to find something not too far from the mall. Thank you.

4 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    • alycat's Profile Photo

A beachside vacation?

Washington D.C. Apr 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Hello all,

Please suggest ideas for a beachside weekend getaway from DC for a couple..anything under 2-3 hour drive. Small condo/resort/cottage for accommodation and good seafood restaurants near the beach!

Thanks
      Ali

6 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    • violette_ca's Profile Photo

Android Apps, Washington

Washington D.C. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Hi folks,
      Do you know best free apps for museum, attractions or something like podcast, cityaudio guide (mp3)?
      I would like to have something to do on my way to Washington by bus.
      TYou :-)
      Violette

4 Answers Apr 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    • Budget Accomodation in Washington DC

Washington D.C. Feb 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Hi, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hostel or budget hotel near Metro stations in Washington DC. Thanks.
      Casey.

6 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    • Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Taking the VRE from Fredericksburg to National airport

Washington D.C. Feb 18, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I've decided to skip the drive and parking at National and try taking the VRE .

I know I'll have to transfer to metro somewhere between Springfield and Alexandria so....

Where's the best transfer station?
      Which line do I take?

Thanks everyone! - C

5 Answers Mar 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Hotels in DC for the VT meet in Oct

Washington D.C. Jan 31, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Hey peeps
      I am all excited about DC meet in Oct, so I started making plans.
      Any of you getting ready as well?
      Have a bit of a problem, booking hotels, my usual chain ( frequently used when in USA ) is not available in DC but in Alexandria, Arlington and few satellite towns.
      After the meet I'm planning of two weeks road trip going south, all the way to the Big Easy and back to fly home.
      Now I planned to rent a car on my last day of the meet for the trip.
      Problem I have is that on the meet page there is not proposed area of DC for the meet ( big sprawling city) and I don't know where ( area)to look for hotels if I use my usual chain than I will need car to get places in DC which will be pain parking and extra cost.
      Keep looking on the map and the map look small from this side of the screen, but in effect is totally different story on the ground..
      So do I book on the outskirts or in the DC and if in DC where exactly? What is the safe areas,close to everything and easy accesable by metro.
      Help!!
      Valentina

26 Answers Apr 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    • SAFE HOTEL

Washington D.C. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM

TAKING THE FAMILY ON A TRIP TO WASHINGTON DC. LOOKING FOR A SAFE HOTEL OR RENTAL PROPERTY TO STAY AT.

2 Answers Jan 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    • Dek39's Profile Photo

Washington and Road Trip

Washington D.C. Jan 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM

I am considering doing a trip to washington In September this year, I was initally going to do a trip around New England, but may change this.
      My Plan is Washington DC-Virginia Beach (VI)-Bethany Beach (DE)-Philadelphia-Atlantic City (NJ)-Washington DC
      Is this trip Feasible in 15 days/nights?
      My plan is:-

Washington 3 nights

Virginia Beach 3 nights
      Bethany and somewhere else in Delaware 3 Nights
      Philadelphia 2 Nights
      Atlantic City 2 Nights
      Washington 1 night
      This gives me a spare night and I will stop off somewhere between Atlantic City and Washington.
      Would this be a good journey to do? Any suggestions of what I may change?
      Thanks

8 Answers Jan 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    • Visiting D.C.

Washington D.C. Dec 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thinking about visiting Washington D.C. in the summer. What are the best tours to take? I would like to see at least the white house, the smithsonian, and the capital building

5 Answers Dec 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    • Waterfront Engagement Photography

Georgetown Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Is a permit required for engagement sessions at Waterfront Park?

• Locals customs

Washington D.C. Dec 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

What are some of the cultural customs of Washington, D.C. Residents?

1 Answer Dec 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    • clothes required to pack for Herndon Virginia

Washington D.C. Nov 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM

hi what kind of clothes should i pack when going to Herndon Virginia in 1st week of December this year

4 Answers Nov 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    • What to do around Washington DC

Washington D.C. Nov 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Hi
      My wife and I will be arriving in Washington towards the end of June next year for a family wedding on July 4 in the city. We will be staying with friends in Maryland for a couple of days, but would then like to explore perhaps down the Blue Ridge Highway, heading back to DC for July 4. We don't leave till July 9, so is there enough to do in the city between the 5th and the 9th or should we look to get out and see the surrounding area during that time? Sorry for so many questions, but we've not been to this part of the US before! Thanks!

7 Answers Apr 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    • moscoba's Profile Photo

Christmas lights show stops - driving from washington dc to roanoke, va

Washington D.C. Oct 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM

We will be driving from Washington DC to Roanoke, VA one week before Christmas. If you know any Christmas lights show along the way, will appreciate any info Thanks.

1 Answer Nov 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    • LynnieAshB's Profile Photo

D.C with kids: ages 3 & 9

Washington D.C. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My sister and I are trying to decide on a trip with my two nephews for next Spring/Summer. D.C is one of our choices. The kids will be ages 4 and 9. Are there things for both of them to enjoy? I know the 9 year old will be good with the Smithsonian museums. I'm more concerned about the 4 year old. Any tips on places he would enjoy? Thinking at least the Air & Space Museum...

4 Answers Nov 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    • metro pass

Washington D.C. Oct 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

does each person need their own pass or can we all use the same card

3 Answers Oct 19, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    • metro pass

Washington D.C. Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Never been to Washington, how much is metro pass and how does it work?

2 Answers Oct 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    • ruebezahl1945's Profile Photo

Washington DC

Washington D.C. Oct 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM

we are planning to drive to Washington DC on October 5Th 2013 and leave the 7Th...we need a reasonable hotel to do some sightseeing

6 Answers Oct 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    • SeetaKaur's Profile Photo

US government shutdown, and that means...

Washington D.C. Oct 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I just read the news today about the US government shutdown, is this mean all 19 SI museum and National Zoo closed for public? and please i'm not looking for political conversation here, its just i will be travelling to US on November and really looking forward to visit the museum and this news quite devastating, i really hope im wrong here

3 Answers Oct 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM
    • Traveling_Duck's Profile Photo

Dulles airport: from domestic arrivals to int'l departures

Washington D.C. Sep 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I will be traveling from Charlotte NC on US Airways, to go on IAD to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. Since I travel on 2 separate tickets, I cannot check my luggage through Dulles. My first question is: since I have to pick up my luggage and move from domestic arrivals (gate Z7) to international departures (B gates), will I be able to do so inside the airport, or would I have to get a cab between terminals?
      My second question: I arrive from Charlotte at 1 PM, and my Frankfurt flight is at 6 PM - would that be time enough?
      Thanks!

15 Answers Sep 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    • First night Alexandria

Washington D.C. Sep 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Hi, I was wondering if oneone has been to the First Night celebrations for NYE at Alexandria. I've looked online and there isn't a great amount of information available on the event for 2013 as yet. The images I've seen seem to indicate that the event is catered for young families. I have two teenagers, 16 and 14 and was wondering if the First Night Celebration would be suitable. Any ideas would be great. The event was recommended to me here on Virtual Tourist, if anyone has other suggestions for NYE they too would be greatly appreciated as we will be in Washington for NYE - as part of a big family holiday from Australia. Thanks, Rebecca

1 Answer Sep 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    • Washington NYE 2013

Washington D.C. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Hi! I will be in WAshington for New Years Eve, with my husband and our two teenagers. Does anyone have suggestions on things to do in Washington that are fun and also appropriate for teens. We are from Australia and enjoy watching the fireworks on Sydney Harbour every NYE so we were looking for something like that. We are staying near The White House and would prefer to do something close to that to avoid commuting too much. Any suggestions would be great - I've looked online, however, many ideas such as cruises and such are only for adults... Thanks in advance, Rebecca

5 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    • Bus to subway station link

Georgetown Sep 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Do you think the Georgetown bus to subway link service is the best you have ever used. A Canadian from Toronto -- nothing works on our roads here.

• First Time in DC

Washington D.C. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Hi, my husband, teenage daughter and I (international travellers) will be in DC for the first time from 25 Nov. Which hotel area is more convenient for sightseeing and safer to move around - White House Downtown or Capitol Hill Convention Center?
      What time do the shops close and are shopping /dining options limited being so close to Thanksgiving?
      Tks :)

1 Answer Sep 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    • Best restaurants in DC- am I missing anything?

Washington D.C. Aug 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Hi- I have a list of some of the best restaurants in DC, but want to make sure I'm not missing any great places before I pass it along to a friend. Here it is: http://avelist.com/list5936 Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Thanks for your help!

3 Answers Sep 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    • nancy531's Profile Photo

Parking for tourism AND Nats game?

Washington D.C. Aug 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We are attending a Nats game tomorrow at 7:05 pm but I would like to park all day near the Navy Yard metro stop and also attend the game. Is that possible? The Nats garage doesn't open until 5pm and some lots look like they close early...6 or 7pm. Any advice?

• alycat's Profile Photo

Weekend getaway from DC

Washington D.C. Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Anyone has suggestions for a young couple for a weekend getaway (2-3 hour drive) from DC?

A local village closer to the river, may be hike in the forest, stay at a small inn or B&B. Do some outdoor activity?

Thanks in advance
      Al

7 Answers Aug 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    • ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Washington, D.C. to Annapolis, MD

Washington D.C. Jul 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I am currently visiting in the Washington, D.C. area and would like to spend a day in Annapolis, MD. When I was in college here years and years ago I was able to make the trip by bus. Does anyone know if it's still possible? If not, is there any other means to get there or must I rent a car? I am staying in Vienna, VA.

4 Answers Sep 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    • GrizzlyBearMom's Profile Photo

Cell phone carrier in DC and overseas for posting photos.

Washington D.C. Jul 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I'm looking for a cheap cell phone carrier to serve me effectively in DC and to post photos from overseas capitals such as Beijing, Lima, and Berlin. Any suggestions?

Samsung's galaxy IV looked like a effective camera because it takes 5 photos in order to cut out people who cross your path inadvertently and fill the cut in with the other 4 versions. Advice?

I'm ignorant about 4gs and all that other tech info.

Advice most appreciated.

5 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM