Warsaw Travel Answers

change location
AnitaHK's Profile Photo

personal safety 2013

by AnitaHK Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I want to know the present situation in Poland. Is it safe for a female Chinese to travel to Poland alone, to areas like Warsaw, Karcrow and the main tourist sights this summer. What I am worried about is gang robbery on buses or trains.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • evaanna's Profile Photo

Re: personal safety 2013

by evaanna Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I think you will be safe unless you go out alone at night when the risk of meeting drunken young men is greater. Buses are usually safe, except for occasional pickpockets. Just keep your money in a safe place. As for trains, they are perfectly safe by day but travelling at night can carry a risk of being robbed while you are asleep. So it's better if there are some other people in the compartment with you . You can lock the door to the compartment from the inside.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM

My wife and I visited Krakow, Auchwitz and Warsaw last December and we travelled everywhere by train or tram, except on one instance where we used the bus to/from the train station. At no time did we worry for our safety whether on the public transport or while walking on the streets. As in any city in any country, be sure to avoid walking in dark or deserted areas. In buses or trains, transfer car or seat if you note any suspicious characters nearby. Be aware of those around you but not to the point of paranoia. Have fun!

1 member found this helpful

• magor65's Profile Photo

by magor65 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

AnitaHK wrote:
    I want to know the present situation in Poland. Is it safe for a female Chinese to travel to Poland alone, to areas like Warsaw, Karcrow and the main tourist sights this summer. What I am worried about is gang robbery on buses or trains.

I think you can feel safe here if you act reasonably. When you travel by bus you can feel more secure as there are fewer people and confined space. There are hardly any cases of violence there. But don't be afraid to travel by train during a day, especially  if it's a fast train.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I travel trough Poland in August 2011. I agree with upper posted answers about using common sense and usual precaution as on any other country. I travel by train and talk with locals and walk all over Warsaw and Krakow by any time of day and till midnight and I feel very safe.
    I hope you will have a pleasant visit to Poland and looking forward to read about your impressions.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I have visited Poland (and other European countries) several times as a solo middle-aged female traveller and have felt no more unsafe than I have felt in any other European or US destination...which means I have only very rarely felt even the tiniest bit uncomfortable!

Just take normal common-sense precautions such as those you would take when visiting any large city, keeping valuables safe under your clothing and always avoiding dimly-lit and/or deserted areas very late at night, and I'm sure you will be absolutely fine.

• Re: personal safety 2013

by josh1974 Online Now Jun 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Having been to Poland on a number of occasions, I would say it's one of the safest countries in Europe. No worries whatsoever

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Warsaw