Warsaw Travel Answers

change location
AnitaHK's Profile Photo

personal safety in Poland 2013

by AnitaHK Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I would like to have some update on the personal safety of Poland including Warsaw,Karcrow area for travel by a single Chinese female this summer?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • eMGeographer's Profile Photo

Re: personal safety in Poland 2013

by eMGeographer Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I consider Poland generaly as a safe country, but my opinion may not be objective because I am Polish ;) Of course in touristic sites you have to watch out on pick-pockets, thieves, etc. Also in the evening and at night girls better not walk alone in some housing estates beside the city/town centers. In Krakow center (around market square) I always feel safe because even at 3 AM there are crowds of parting people :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: personal safety in Poland 2013

by LowCostatAllCosts Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I agree--I've always felt safe in Poland and have just taken the general travel precautions of keeping an eye on my stuff, my wallet in my front pocket, etc. I girl friend of mine took a trip there by herself last summer and felt completely safe checking out the big cities on her own. Just use common sense!!

• AnitaHK's Profile Photo

by AnitaHK Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Thanks for the answer. I am worried about the safety although I am an experienced traveller for many years because I have experienced day light robbery just outside the largest department store in St Petersbury, Russia and so I have worries for any countries that have any past association with Russia. Also, I have seen some reports of gang robbery on the buses and trains in Poland but these reports were a few years ago. All I want is the current situation. If it has improved, I would like to visit Poland.

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I am sorry to read your sad story, AnitaHK! It is understandable to feel like that after that experience. I visit Russia just after my trip to Poland (it was part of my big trip trough East Europe) in 2011. I come from "unsettles" Balkan region (war etc.) and maybe you can understand when I wrote that I always have some kind of worries about travel and strangers. This trip was helpful for me in that sense (as this VT experience).
    I was very careful, of course and I dint travel alone whole trip but sometimes I walk along by myself trough cities but for short period. I even talk by locals on our "Slavic-sh" mix of languages and I have lucky enough to have only good memories. I have a nice experience.
    I hope and wish for you to have always safe and good travel experiences!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

by Pawtuxet Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I've been in Krakow alone and felt very safe. In fact, I've been through much of Poland...usually w/ another woman, sometimes my husband, many times driving a rental car. I've always felt safe, in Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, and the tiny villages. Poles are wonderful, helpful people. Of course I use discretion about what and where as I would in any city. I don't go to clubs alone at night. Usually restaurant for dinner and back to hotel.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Warsaw