Warsaw Travel Answers

change location
jlanza29's Profile Photo

Trains to Krakow

by jlanza29 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hello friends .... does anybody know an offical web site where I can find prices and schedules for the train for the Warsaw to Krakow route ..... Will be visiting in a couple of months and want to start to plan my trip ....

Thank you as always

jlanza29

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • bonio's Profile Photo

Re: Trains to Krakow

by bonio Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

http://www.pkp.pl/

Is the web address for Polish railways, should help.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Here is the website;

http://polrail.com/

There is a link to English. Fares are shown in Polish Zloty (PLN) What country will you be traveling from?

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Thanks you both ... I will be traveling from Warsaw to Krakow and back to Warsaw .... this helps .... appreciate it !!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I haven't used it personally but there is supposed to be a tourist ticket office at Warsaw Central station where staff speak several languages and you can buy your tickets (and get timetables etc) from them once you are in Warsaw.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM

The last time we did that route it was unintentional (missed our flight between the two). We were able to buy tickets on the train (I think they took credit cards), the ticket line was too long and we would have missed the train. Best though to try to buy them at the window, there are slow trains and fast trains and we almost got on the slow train by accident.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I just had a look at the polrail sight, apparently there is a surcharge if you buy online so it's best to go to the ticket counters. Just give yourself a good amount of time or buy the day prior, the line we saw would have been at least a 1/2 hour and we had about 7 minutes. The 1st time we were in Poland I found there to be a little of a language barrier so we wrote down the train station we wanted, Warszawa Centralna or Kraków Główny depending on which direction you are going, and the time of the train and date (remember dates are written day month, not month day, in Europe).

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

BTW You can buy your ticket the day before from Centralna (at a quiet time) and the tourist desk should make sure all your details are correct before they issue the ticket.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

by jlanza29 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thank you everyone for your help .... We plan on spending a day or so in Warsaw and then making our way to Krakow ..... so buying tickets the day before would be ideal .....

Appreciate everyone's tip !!!!

jlanza29

• Re: Trains to Krakow

by nob-in Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Don't use Polrail, it is not official rail company or anything, but just an agency. Much better and cheaper to purchase tickets directly from PKP (Polish Railways) via official website - http://intercity.pl/en or already in Poland from the ticket counter
    Also remember that some trains like EIC or Ex are rather expensive compared to TLK or IR, although the later almost as fast

• roamer61's Profile Photo

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I'm going to need a tkt from Krakow to Warsaw also. I like to have all tickets in hand. So what would be the BEST site to buy them in advance? I am in US thus they would have to be shipped overseas.

by nob-in Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM

As was said, buy it using official PKP-IC website - http://intercity.pl/en, ticket sales start 30 days in advance and at the end you get print-at-home ticket, so just print it and board the train, no need to overpay for agencies services or mailing fees

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thanks.

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I just tried out the site as indicated above to see how to buy when I am ready (trip is in May).
    But when I entered route and preferred time, all I see is the detail of the train, schedule, times, etc. There are no buttons to push to see pricing and to make a purchase.

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Hi roamer,

On the site intercity.pl/en, left margin, under Menu in blue, see "My e-IC". Click on it.

Before I saw that, I read on same site under "How to buy a ticket" that one must register on "My e-IC" to be able to purchase tickets online.

Once registered and with a password, you'll be able to pay online and won't have to register again. Hope that works for you. Have a good trip to Poland!

by nob-in Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

roamer61, sales aren't open yet for May (as was said in previous post - it opens only 30 days in advance), that is why you can't see the purchase button. If you try earlier dates, then you'll see orange "Buy a ticket" button
    Also might be helpful europetrainsguide.com/Advice..., it is a guide on how to handle PKP-IC ticket shop

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 4:54 AM

I see now, you have to register. That's a pain. Yes nob-in, I know I have to wait until at least April.
    Will also have to by tkt for Warsaw to Berlin. But that is purchased from Bahn.de.

by nob-in Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Registration isn't very complicated, so don't think it is really an obstacle ;)
    However, saying honestly, you don't really need to purchase tickets like Warsaw to Krakow or Krakow to Warsaw in advance, you can do it already in Poland from the ticket counter. Trains are frequent, some of them don't even require seat reservation (you can just take any free seat you want), but even those requiring seat reservation sold out rarely (maybe just peak periods and holidays time)

Regarding tickets from Warsaw to Berlin, you can as well purchase them via PKP-IC website (actually in the above link for http://europetrainsguide.com guide the example of the ticket purchased is precisely the one from Warsaw to Berlin)

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Ok. Well on point 1, I am one of those people who likes to have everything set before hand. Reservations, all tickets, etc.
    On point 2, found it. Thanks for directing me. I will purchase both tickets from the site when the time comes.

by roamer61 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Cant connect to the official page.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Warsaw