Walvisbaai Travel Answers

change location
globetrott's Profile Photo

8hours in Walvis-bay what can I do ?

by globetrott Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I will have about 8 hours in Walvisbay and there will be around 1500 people on our cruiseship.
Will there be enough capacity for most of these 1500 to get on a tour to watch the pelicans & seals ?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: 8hours in Walvis-bay what can I do ?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Michael - if you can arrange for a car, your might want to head out of town.

I explored Walvis Bay for a couple of hours and had enough (I don't think I even bothered to take any pictures). While they trying to make it look prettier, it is first and foremost a deep water port, which is why your cruise ship is pulling in there, rather than the much nicer town of Swakopmund, about 30km up the cost. Just a word of warning, if you decide to rent a car and drive, we spotted police radar on the B2 between Walvis Bay and Swakop.

My Swakopmund pages are: "Swakopmund - German outpost in Africa" - Swakopmund by GrumpyDiver

Just an aside, unless you are there during the school holidays, when the people from Windhoek head here to escape the summer heat, it really is a sleepy little town too,

If you want to see seals, the Cape Cross Cape fur seal colony is about 120km north of Swakopmund along a salt road.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

by lotharscheer Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I was just in Walfishbay, as mentioned above Swakopmund is more interresting, to get there without a tour, there are informal shared taxis 30 to 35 Namibian $ (€ 3) leaving from north of the town (i think near Kuisebmond stadium, the realy fight for passengers, get then of at Pick&Pay supermarket Swakopmund from there everything is walking distance), with a shared taxi from the center about 8 to 10 N$. Next to Shoprite supermarket and a petrolstation Sam Nujoma av./10.rd. is a station for local shared taxi (walking distance from the port, 4 passengers taxi sign usualy on the dashboard) if you come not alone they might drive you from there to Swakopmund, or you might rent the hole car by the hour, i was told 220 N$ (maybe a bit more on a cruise ship day, but you have to know the way, copy Googlemap and mark the points).
    I had a mr. T. Shiwalo cellfone: 0812152101 to drive to Walfishbay, he was allright (exept did not know the museum in Walfishbay)
    The interresting thing in Walfishbay where Flamingos and other birds at the Lagoon (just walk Sam Nujome av. to southern end).

• Vogelstrand's Profile Photo

by Vogelstrand Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Go quad biking in the dunes. If you contact Swakopmund Day Tours +(0)81 127 57 05 they can arrange that you are picked up at any point in Walvisbay. The quad biking spot is 15km out of town and is one of the best ways to access parts of the Namib desert dunes that even a 4x4 can't reach. There is a 1 hour and 2 hour drive option. For more adventure you can skitter down the slip face of a tall star dune on a lie-down board or enjoy the style and grace of a stand-up board. No experience is necessary for both. This is an activity guaranteed to give smiles and to get your adrenalin pumping. They even include a light lunch and soft drinks.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

thanks a lot for your input, everybody !
    All that my ship had to offer is a tour to Swakopmund and a short stop to take pics of the birds somewhere in the lagoon and they want to charge 53 euros for that (3-4hours). So I think I better try to get some other passangers to share a taxi !

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines