Walnut Creek Travel Answers

change location
FrankH21's Profile Photo

Old time Walnut creeker coming back for Birthday- what to do?

by FrankH21 Online Now Jun 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My mom, Betty Lou Hartzell is turning 88 today and we are taking her to Walnut Creek as a surprise. She and my dad raised my three older siblings at 231 King Drive. Unfortunately, they cant make it for the birthday party and I dont know much about the place. What's left she might like? Is there something fun to do Saturday night? Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Old time Walnut creeker coming back for Birthday- what to do?

by Agraichen Online Now Jun 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hmmm...if it's the location I'm thinking of bing.com/maps/default.aspx?e...

there's plenty to do, but it all depends on what they are up to doing. The place in No CA has become the "Rodeo Drive" of No CA and as such has very high end restaurants, clubs, shoping etc.

If this is the Walnut Creek you're refering to, my favorite restaurant is Va Da Vi on Mt Diablo almost to the corner of Main (between Tommy Bahama and Tiffianys.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Online Now Jun 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Hi, I used to live in the next town... and there was a restaurant called Cafe Della Stella, that had the closest thing to Italian food... I now live in Italy...so I know the REAL thing...It is a small place, but the food was always awesome.
    You can drive up to Mount Diablo, and go to the top for a small fee. The view there is nice, and there is little walking from the car park to the view point.
    Your mom will be very surprised.. because Walnut Creek is changed a whole lot.
    Good luck, Dave

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM

PainterDave... Little known fact about Mt. Diablo. Allegedly due to the location you can see more land mass from the top than any place else in the world except Mt Kilimanjaro in Africa.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

by lmkluque Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Hi Frank, it's been many years since I was last in Walnut Creek so don't know fun things to suggest for Saturday night but I was thinking about what to show your mom.

I'm not 88 yet, but when I go to the place I raised my son's I do like to revisit our old haunts.

Since your siblings can't make it I would sugguest you ask them each to list a few places/addresses that they remember having fun with your mother at and to tell you a story or why it was fun. Then get a decent map of the town and plot out a route. At each location tell her the story or thing about it that your sibling rememebered. She'll probably have a few things to add. You know there's hardly any thing more fun then remebering things from our past days.

This way she will see what's still there and what's not and her other children will be with her in spirit.

That would be a great birthday present to me if only one son was doing this.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Jul 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My first trip to Walnut Creek was in the late 1950's, I was just a little kid and I can still remember all the orchards in the area. Of course those days are gone and the attraction back then was to go up to Mount Diablo.

Mount Diablo of course has spectacular views of not only the SF Bay but also the Sacramento Valley. Just be aware of the fact that they have cut back weekday hours of operation.

There is a first rate animal center in the town called the Lindsay Wildlife Museum
    They rehabilitate a number of animals there but have a lot of interactive exhibits that little kids as well as adults will like. The bald eagles, owls and foxes were interesting. Lots of other things too. Its on the 1900 block of First Street. Admission is very modest, I think 7 for adults and much less for kids.

Here is a link;

http://wildlife-museum.org/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines