Wales Travel Answers

change location
Adam_uk's Profile Photo

What to do/see near Caio, Wales

by Adam_uk Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Hi,

I'm going to be staying near Lampeter/Llandeilo in March for a week. I'll have a car. I'm looking for suggestions of what to see/do. The kind of places I'm looking for are places to visit are monuments/craft shops/Welsh feeling places. As I'll have the car, I don't mind if the place is rural/hard to reach - somewhere even an hour away from Lampeter/Llandeilo is fine. I've found several places on the internet such as Llandovery, Lampeter, Myddfai community centre, Brecon, etc. but I don't seem to be having luck with finding much information despite searching for hours on the internet. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help in advance,
Adam

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: What to do/see near Caio, Wales

by tango_jd Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM

If you don't mind travelling check out the journey to Swansea.
    There is a beautiful marina with bars and restaurants, the Dylan Thomas centre ( http://www.swansea.gov.uk/dtc ), a long promenade which (at the marina end) goes-past several modern sculptures.
    Then, a few miles along the coast is the Mumbles leading further on into the Gower peninsular.
    Oysermouth castle isn't much in my opinion but as it is in this area it may be worth a look. The coast line here is very beautiful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

There are some VT member tips about Llandovery here:

Llandovery Travel Guide

Lampeter:

Lampeter Travel Guide

Brecon:

Brecon Travel Guide

The Brecon Beacons:

Brecon Beacons Travel Guide

I suggest you try Aberystwyth (about 45 minutes' drive), very 'Welsh':

Aberystwyth Travel Guide

and also the seaside villages of Aberporth and Aberaeron, both fairly nearby. Aberaeron is a pleasant little village (as I recall).

• Adam_uk's Profile Photo

by Adam_uk Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Thanks to you both for your reply.

Tango_jd - I hadn't thought about Swansea, but being just over an hour away from where I'm staying, it's a very good suggestion. I've been to Swansea and Swansea Bay before, but I forgot it was only an hourish away from Caio. I definitely will Swansea Bay again and/or some parts of the Gower Peninsula. (I visited on a Saturday on a sunny day in the summer and the traffic was terrible - I think that if I go mid-week in March the traffic should be better and I will see more of the peninsula :-))

Leics - Thanks for all the links. I've printed the tips off and will have a proper look at them tomorrow, but there seems to be loads of useful information on the pages. I'm definitely visiting Llandovery, Lampeter and Brecon and the tips are extremely helpful. Also Aberystwyth sounds great, especially as it has a Welsh feel. I've not really experienced Welsh places in south Wales other than in rural villages, so that will be great :-) I've not been to Aberporth and Aberaeron either and from pictures on the internet both these places seem interesting and by car it's so easy.

Thank you both for your help and time :-) I will definitely visit most of the places suggested. By car Wales is so easy, so will definitely visit the Gower peninsula and the coastal towns :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy exploring. It's not a part of Wales I know very well (I know mid to North Wales much better). But there'll be lots to see and enjoy! :-)

• Adam_uk's Profile Photo

by Adam_uk Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM

No worries, I also don't know there well, hence the trip. North west and south Wales (Cardiff, south Carmarthenshire, little bit of Pembrokeshire) I know better, but I now have some great ideas of where to explore and the beauty of Wales is exploring towns and finding places en route.

• kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

The Red Kite Feeding station at brynheulog.com/tregaron_red_... is just about an hour away from where ypu are staying and you might find it very interesting.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Wales Travel Answer Locations