Waikiki Travel Answers

change location

Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by oceangirlinutah Online Now Apr 30, 2004 at 10:49 AM

My husband and I will be on Oahu May 12-17. I have done some research on line and I notice there is a high Theft rate on the Island. I was wondering if we go to Haunama Bay or anywhere else to snorkel will out stuff get stolen on the Beach? what should we do. We are not going to be renting a car, we will be doing The Bus thing and may rent scotters to get around waikiki. Any advise???? Also, are there any good Local Dining (not touristy) that you would recommend including Bars. I heard of a place called Moose, any sugestions? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by cougguy Online Now Apr 30, 2004 at 11:19 AM

They may have lockers at Haunama??? I wouldn't be too worried about leaving some things on the beach at Haunama (sunglasses, shoes, ...), but I don't think I would leave a500 camera laying in the sand. When you go to Haunama, go early in the day. That place gets really crowded during the day. There are other places on the island where I'd be worried about the smaller sunglass/shoe items. What are some of the other snorkel spots you plan on checking out? It should be a bit calmer up on the North Shore during mid-May. Waimea has a cool spot off to the left of the bay (facing the water, past the people jumping off of the rock). Not many people are over there, so stuffing your things in the rocks while you are out would work. Mooses is fun. It's a touristy kind of thing, but the last time I was there we did a pub crawl in Waikiki. It was fun, and you can check out a lot of the different bars in one night. Just look for someone on the street selling tickets. I'd also suggest getting a Micky Goon down at Duke's on Waikiki.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 30, 2004 at 1:03 PM

Hide your things if you are worried, or don't bring things you don't want to lose, anywhere you go traveling in the world. Man has been tempted since eve offered adam the ol' apple bit. A good rule of thumb is to put your things down next to a family. Most of the time one of them is always there. As for not a tourist bar or restaurant, well, Hawaii, and Oahu, and Waikiki especially all is touristy. The thing is that all locals will go there as well, the Moose Mcgilly's, the Duke's ok but for dining not too touristy, there is a plaza downtown Honolulu by the Aloha Tower that offer a lot of different ethnic restaurants. The Aloha Tower Marketplace has bars and great Restaurants, as well as Ward Center. All Hotels have bars as well, some cater to different age groups. Check it out. Aloha

• Re: Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by oceangirlinutah Online Now Apr 30, 2004 at 1:10 PM

Thank you so much for all of your insight. This is my first time on the Islands, actually on any island. I am a "Virgin" to this. I grew up on the East Coast of US, so water is not foreign to me, but this is my first time at a large resort. Any advise on where to snorkel or go you know the Must Check this out............is great appreciated!!! Aloha!

• 2rs's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by 2rs Online Now May 2, 2004 at 11:45 AM

If you want a real local dining experience, check out Ono Hawaiian Food at 726 Kapahulu Ava, East Waikiki, close to the zoo. This place is not a fancy looking reaturant, but is considdered one of the best places to go for Hawaiian food in Honlulu/Waikiki. It's quite popular so don't be surprised if there's a line outside on the street and you have to wait 10 min. to get seated. Enjoy Hawaii

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by travelgourmet Online Now May 2, 2004 at 6:52 PM

Ok, I don"t like to tell too many mainlanders about the most romantic dining area that isn't too touristy, but I used to live back and forth between California and Hawaii. Oahu was my island, but Kaneohe was my home. In Kaneohe, there is a garden/pond area, called Haiku Gardens. One of my daughters was married in the gardens, and it is a beautiful place to call paradise. You can tour the gardens, do it before sunset so you can see everything on your walk, and then have a magnificent dinner overlooking the gardens at Haleiwa Joe's Seafood Grill. Very romantic and very non touristy. Also, the food is ono!!! Kaneohe is only about 20 minutes by car from Honolulu over the Pali Highway. There are signs to tell you where Haiku Gardens are located within Kaneohe. Aloha

• Re: Re: Where do you put your stuff when snorkeling.

by oceangirlinutah Online Now May 3, 2004 at 7:54 AM

Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate it. I am getting so excited, only one week to go.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines