Wadi Rum Travel Answers

change location

Getting to Wadi Rum

by cleoni Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 4:41 AM

Hi to all.
In September I will be staying in Taba (Sea Star Hotel) my wish is to travel to Wadi Rum for the day or even stay overnight.
I have used the border crossing at Taba into Israel a couple of times and a few years ago I took the ferry from Taba Heights on a day package trip to Petra run by my holiday company which I enjoyed very much.
On my visit this time I would like to go from Taba through both the Egypt/Israel border crossing and then through the Israel/Jordanian border crossing, I feel I will be ok during this part of my journey with Taxis ect unless anyone has information to the contrary.
Once through the border and into Jordan what is the best way to get to Wadi Rum? Should I get a taxi direct and then get the same driver to return me to the border later that day?
Can the Taxi driver take me into Wadi Rum? Or only to the visitors centre?
Can I get a trip from the visitors centre into the Wadi for the day or can I get one staying overnight under the stars/camping? Returning to Egypt the following night?
I will be travelling on my own so not sure if this ends up costing much more, I am willing to go by 4x4 or camel into Rum.
I am a keen photographer and this location is on my to do list before I die, everything I have ever read about Wadi Rum makes me shake with excitement so any tips or advice from members will be most welcome.
Thanks

Carl

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Wadi Rum

by cachaseiro Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 5:01 AM

a taxi can take you to either visitor center or to one of the many tourist camps that you have in wadi rum where it is possible to stay overnight.
    here is a link to some of the capms you have out there:

aqaba.jo/english/index.php?o...

when you are out there you have several options for getting around.
    4x4, camel, horse walking and so on.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 5:03 AM

For all info on Jordan use the Jordan jubilee site:
    http://www.jordanjubilee.com/

For Wadi Rum specifically see here:
    jordanjubilee.com/visitjor/r...

I agree that you shouldn't have any problems using the Taba and Aqaba crossings, especially since you have already done the same previously.

Enjoy!

• orix's Profile Photo

by orix Online Now Jan 12, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I'd try to stay overnight in Wadi-rum, although it is possible to do snap visit. So if you want to do it on the same day I'd take a taxi from the Israel/Jordan corossing to the visitor center and arrange with driver to wait for you there and pick you after you have done the "jeep" ride in the Wadi.

Enjoy!

• Re: Getting to Wadi Rum

by nathalie7777 Online Now Feb 8, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Hello,
    Bedouin guides from Wadi Rum are keen to help you organising your transportation from Aqaba or Israeli border. This is a good deal for you, because they arrange the taxi for a better deal that you could have by your own. There are a couple of guides who organise jeep and camel tours as well as walk and hiking, and you can find their contact at www.gotowadirum.com
    And they also have a camp in the Sunset Area if finally you decide to stay overnight.
    What are you doing in Taba? Perhaps you should also benefit from your stay there to meet the Bedouins from Sinai.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Wadi Rum