Wadduwa Travel Answers

change location

Villa ocean view wedding

by Dawnpears Online Now Feb 2, 2005 at 12:21 PM

I am getting married in April at the Villa ocean view hotel and included in our package is traditional Sri Lankan wedding Attire. We have asked the travel agent a number of times what exactly is included with this and I have emailed the resort and all they have said is that its a Sari and local jewellry. Has anyone else out there had this package? I booked with first choice. Does the jewellry include the tikka and bangles?? Do you really not need to take anything clothing wise for the big day? What does the groom wear?? I dont want to go all that way and forget something! Any info would be great.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Villa ocean view wedding

by manika143 Online Now Feb 4, 2005 at 5:12 AM

Hi Married to a Sri-Lankan - we visit SL 1/2 times / year - I have not been to the Villa Ocean View Hotel however, I have been to many weddings and, indeed, got married in SL myself. I would suggest that you take some of your own clothing as you may not like what they offer you - the sari's are beautiful and there are many to choose from - the finished result will be very nice and look fab on the photos.... As mentnioned, I would take something of your own 'just in case'.....what date are you getting married - we are going for a month in March. Sri Lanka is a fab place - you will love it. Lisa Baddevithana

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by sair1 Online Now Feb 5, 2005 at 4:12 AM

did you have any luck finding this info out as i have teh same question?? hope to hear from you soon, sarah

• Re: Re: Villa ocean view wedding

by Dawnpears Online Now Feb 5, 2005 at 6:14 AM

No I havent had any luck yet. My travel agent has emailed the resort were staying at and all they have said is that a sari and local jewellry is provided on the day. The brochure sais that "typical Sri Lankan wedding attire" is provided. I just want to know if its just my clothes that are provided, are the grooms clothes provided too? I thought jewellry would be included but I would like to know what jewellry. I dont wanna go all that way and forget something!

• Re: TRADITIONAL WEDDING CEREMONY

by manika143 Online Now Feb 8, 2005 at 3:28 AM

Dear Dawn Further to my previous email - I hope the details below help explain what procedure your wedding will (should) follow:- The entire traditional marriage Poruwa ceremony takes about 45 minutes and proceeds as follows: Bride and then the groom will be accompanied from their hotel rooms to the marriage ceremony in a spectacular mini procession. Highlights include Kandyan traditional dancers and drummers. Master of Ceremonies invites the couple to be married to the special marriage platform called the Poruwa, blowing of the conch shell. The couple will exchange not just vows but also a sheaf of betel leaves exactly 7 times in a tradition that means the bond, unity and love will last for 7 generations. The marriage is symbolised by tying the index fingers of the couple with a golden chain and water poured on it by the Master of Ceremonies from a Kandiyan crafted silver jug whilst chanting blessings from God. After the couple exchange rings they feed each other with milk, rice and water, a symbolic pledge to take care of each other for life. To celebrate the marriage young girls clad in the traditional Sri Lankan saree will sing wedding songs. The girls are traditionally given a symbolic gift. The newly wed couple is invited to step out of the special marriage ceremony stage amidst chanting and beating of drums. No sooner the couple steps down, a coconut is dashed to bless them with children. The couple lights the traditional oil lamp lit at all important occasions in Sri Lanka to symbolise light of hope and success. The newly married couple and witnesses, one of whom should be a citizen of Sri Lanka, sign the marriage certificate in the presence of the Registrar of Marriages. It is at this final stage, if desired, that the ornately dressed elephants carry the couple for a ride along the beach.

by bigalking Online Now Feb 14, 2005 at 12:14 PM

Got married March 2002 in Ocean View - absolutely brilliant. Didn't use Hotel costumes, went to tailor opposite hotel - Raceys - and had 4 saris made along with 5 gents outfits (sarong + tunic) for approx £290 the lot! Only 1 wedding per hotel per day, so all very special to you. Menica, the Elephant comes to the hotel for the wedding. She dresses in costume and takes you for a ride after the ceremony. Anything else you want to know please contact me. We have a video of our wedding but I would serioously recommend you don't see it, just go along with what the locals advise and get in the swing of it. Good luck.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines