Wadduwa Travel Answers

change location

Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by MGrantham Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 4:30 AM

I am adding to our existing question we already have on this page. We were due to get married in Sri Lanka departing on 6th Feb 2005. We booked our holiday for 15 people through TV Travel Shop, and its a Thomas Cook holiday. We are experiencing nothing but problems with both companies. Neither will offer a refund and we have been advised to wait a couple of days and then we will be able to receive our money back. Is anyone else experiencing so many problems. We have spent the last two days on the telephone trying to sort out this matter and we are no further forward. We have been offered alternative locations such as Cyprus, Canary Island & Cuba. We are happy with Cuba but the TV Travel shop do not offer Cuba as they are an American company. Can anyone help in our battle with both companies?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Re: Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by turtski Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 6:14 AM

I think you should not cancel your wedding in Sri Lanka. Right now, they need overseas visitors more than ever before. I know it might not seem like a romantic setting just now but it is a gorgeous island full of charming people and much will be restored by Feb 6th.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • doverox's Profile Photo

Re: Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by doverox Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 10:33 AM

Hey I'm not trying to be an arse, but what happened in Sri Lanka is WAY bigger than your wedding and I think it's shallow and unfair of you to expect it to be a priority right now. I'm sorry your wedding plans were ruined but so were hundreds of thousands of people's lives. Have a little compassion!

• Re: Re: Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by Dawnpears Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 11:00 AM

I dont mean to be an arse either but people all over the world have contributed towards the restoration etc needed due to the Tsunami, and they surely need tourism now more than ever to keep the money coming in. We are all thinking of all the terrible things that have happened and our hearts go out to them all but if you just happen to have a wedding planned at that time then you want it to be the best day of your life. I am getting married in April in Sri Lanka at the villa ocean view and despite whats happened I aint cancelling it for anyone. If it was your wedding you would be upset aswell.

by melanddave Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 11:59 AM

Doverox i think you are well out of order. I too was due to get married in Sri Lanka, but have moved to another destention due to what has happened. How could i celebrate the most important day of my life knowing that so may others suffering that would be inapproriate and selfish. I sugguest if you cannot say anything constructive i wounldn't post. We are all truely upset by what has happen.

by Dawnpears Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 12:24 PM

So would you rather cancel all the tourism that brings the country so much money? they need it now more than ever dont they? Cancelling any holidays etc now would surely send them deeper in to poverty?

by Dawnpears Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 12:24 PM

I think you need to read what Doverox said again

by melanddave Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 12:38 PM

No i am not saying cancel holidays, but i think your wedding day is very important to each individual and they dont feel comfortable about having it there, then they have the right to change. I have been distressed by what has happened to all the countries involved and i will cetainly be going to Sri Lanka soon for a hoilday as well as Thiland. I have give a large amount of money to the Charties to help all the countries involved. My tour operator did not give me the choice to carry on in Sri Lanka. i think at this time we should all support each other we all have a love for this country.

by mrgrantham Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 2:17 PM

I think people have read my question and have missed the point i was trying to put across. If Thomas Cook told us today that we can definately travel to Sri Lanka on tha 6th of Feb we would have no hesitations but to still go but they can not guarantee this at present as no-one really knows what will occur in the next month or so and if at the last minute they say we cant travel then we have no chance of re booking to go to another destination as many other people have already done as there is 15 of us. Believe me we have showed compasion by donating a large sum to the appeal and we intend to visit Sri Lanka in the very near future. If our wedding had been booked for March or April we would not have even considered cancelling but as things stand at the moment we feel we really don't have a choice.

• meandher's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by meandher Online Now Jan 5, 2005 at 3:24 PM

Mrgrantham we agree with you, we are in exactly the same boat. We have a party of 18 including children and a one year old, we were due to go to the villa ocean view. We are with Thomas Cook as well and find them unhelpful. They say that they are waiting for the foreign office to give the all clear for travel in February (we're out there on the 20th). In the meantime we are unable to make alternative plans for a wedding in this country. Yes Doverox we know that our wedding is a small thing in comparison to what has just happened but personally I don't feel comfortable sitting by the pool with a beer when there are hungry, bereaved and homeless people outside that hotel relying on food trucks etc, it just doesn't seem right. It feels like throwing a party at someones funeral. Anyway, the ORIGINAL question was what can be done about the companies that are not giving people the choice to rearrange if they wish? Shouldn't people be allowed to change their destination?

• srupesh's Profile Photo

Re: Wedding In Sri Lanka - Wadduka - Hotel Villa Ocean View

by srupesh Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 9:07 PM

I can say only one thing at the moment. We has a country need to rebuild and regain our Sri Lanka at the moment. For this we need tourist and travelers coming here where tourism is the main source of one income to us. But also as s good individual I have to tell you all people think about yours and loved ones health too. What happens if there is any dieses or epidemic breaks out while the time you are ready to arrive here. Lets pray that does not happen and every thing goes ok and smooth. It is the time where we can make decisions correctly and be more practical. Keep in touch and I’ll give full up to date situation about the country, to who are planning to come here. Well I hope I didn’t hurt anyone of the above members who have posted before me for this posting. I think it is the way we all see the situation from different situation of views and from different countries. All the best Rupesh

by DebbieJ Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 1:49 PM

Dear All I will update you on our situation. I am gald to say at last we have re-booked the wedding with another company to Tobago. We got ABTA involved, who told Thomas Cook they had to refund us. We still intend to visit Sri Lanka, but when the people are back on their feet, it didn't seem right to be celebrating a wedding with such tradegy around us, we wouldn't have felt comfortable drinking and eating when Sri Lankian people are struggling to feed themselves. We look forward to holidaying here when the time is right.

by DebbieJ Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 1:55 PM

Hi Just to update you, we contacted ABTA, who told Thomas Cook that they had to find a suitable alternative, if not they have to refund all the money. They have now done that and as previously, we have re-booked through TV Travel Shop to go to Tobago the day after we should have been flying to Sri Lanka, and they can accomodate all of us on 1 plane and still arrange the wedding. I suggest if you cannot get any answers from Thomas Cook go straight to ABTA and explain your situation. We too thought it was not right to be forced into going to Sri Lanka at such a tragic time. Good Luck and hope this helps.

by rdixon Online Now Jan 10, 2005 at 5:44 AM

Hi, Like many people I am due to go out to Sri Lanka on 4th February. I'm flying out (don't have a package, just flights) with Sri Lankan airlines who are only offering refunds for flights up to 31 January. Can anyone suggest the equivalent of ABTA which I may go through to see if I can them to extend this deadline by 4 days? Like many people on this site, I feel desperately sorry for the people of Sri Lanka. I have been watching the news daily and the pictures we are seeing here are just heart-wrenching. For this reason, like many, I just don't feel right taking a holiday so soon after the disaster. I am planning on travelling for a year from this coming September and plan to visit Sri Lanka then to do some volunteer so please don't feel bad towards me for wanting to change these plans. Any advice on how I may push the airline a little into offering alternatives (which at the moment they're not doing) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rebecca

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines