Wadduwa Travel Answers

change location
PavlH's Profile Photo

Anyone been to Wadduwa?

by PavlH Online Now Oct 7, 2004 at 3:11 AM

Trying to gather information for an upcoming trip to Sri Lanka. One of the places I'll be staying is Wadduwa - trying to find details of restaurants/local places of interest. Thanks for any help.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Nilanka's Profile Photo

Re: Anyone been to Wadduwa?

by Nilanka Online Now Oct 7, 2004 at 5:45 AM

Nothing interesting around Wadduwa but you could consider using up a day to visit some places inland.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • PavlH's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Anyone been to Wadduwa?

by PavlH Online Now Oct 7, 2004 at 8:18 AM

Looks like I'll be doing lots of day trips then.... Thanks.

• Nilanka's Profile Photo

by Nilanka Online Now Oct 7, 2004 at 8:59 AM

let me know if you need anything organized. nilankap@sltnet.lk

• westys's Profile Photo

by westys Online Now Oct 9, 2004 at 10:46 AM

Hi, we went to Villa Ocean View Hotel in Wadduwa in Jan 1999, (package booked) and had a great time. Although there is not much to do directly around that area, daytrips are no problem! and there is plenty to do. We took a 2 day trip which went via a tea "factory" (ie. a stone building!) to the Elephant Orphanage, then on to Kandy where we stayed and saw the Botanical Gardens and a traditional dancing display in the evening. Another day we hired a tuk tuk from a guy outside the hotel entrance (always plenty of locals hanging around to be guides or drivers) and went to the turtle protection centre which was great and then on to Galle, where there are Portugese fort walls to explore - never went any further into the town but maybe worth a visit? We also did a river boat trip and spotted many water monitor lizards etc. Coming out of the hotel and into the very small town (village?) of Wadduwa, we strolled around the town and saw the local market, a few shops etc, and the local people going about their business which was fascinating in itself. We were also taken to a temple, -by a local "guide" -although you could probably find it yourself if you asked around, which was full of beautiful colourful Buddhas. Also an amazing sight is seeing the Sri Lankans pull in their huge nets of fish, day and night, onto the beaches, singing a kind of chant as they go. I found Sri Lanka special and magical, hope you do too.

• Re: Re: Anyone been to Wadduwa?

by Dawnpears Online Now Oct 10, 2004 at 10:08 AM

What is the villa ocean view hotel like?? I am staying there next year. Is the food good??, are the staff freindly?? etc etc. Does a local tame elephant visit the hotel?? Thats what it sais in my brochure.

• westys's Profile Photo

by westys Online Now Oct 10, 2004 at 3:22 PM

Hello again, We found the hotel totally satisfactory, it is set in nice grounds which lead onto the beach, with lots of palm trees to shade under and chipmunks running up and down them all the time! There are 2 pools and a small outdoor jacuzzi. There are 2 types of accomodation available, the main hotel building where the rooms are modern and air conditioned, or the "bungalows" where we stayed, which were fine but very basic. They are 2 storey, and if you are on the lower floor, like we were, you have the advantage of an open earth garden in the corner of the bathroom (!!) which was a bit scary at night as it opened onto the sounds and sights of Sri Lanka - ie. mozquitoes and insects, arrgh!! There are 3 bars, one inside and air conditioned with TVs, one pool bar which is open all day and evening, and a rooftop bar although we never found this open! but gave great views over the tall, thin palm trees looking over the beach. The restaurant was good, the food was always hot and varied and there was a "curry corner" at every meal, including breakfast! I don't remember having a bad meal or being dissatisfied, but just don't expect anything too modern - when we went in '99 all the dishes and servers were set up on trestle type tables for example - but remembering where you are, it is all part of the experience and we loved it, especially as one side of the restaurant is open air. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, as we found all the Sri Lankans to be, and yes there is a "hotel elephant"!! named Monica who is bathed in the grounds twice a week, and is dressed up in full Sri Lankan traditional costume if someone is getting married at the hotel which is an amazing sight to see - you can also stroke her, and get picked up by her trunk! We don't like to visit places more than once, but I can honestly say Sri Lanka is a place we would consider returning to in the future, as it is very unspoilt and beautiful. .. my husband says I've written too much, but hope this is of use! Have a great trip.

• PavlH's Profile Photo

by PavlH Online Now Oct 11, 2004 at 1:28 AM

Thanks for the full answer - I have a small tour before I get to Wadduwa and will be staying in the Blue Waters hotel - If there are forts and a town close, it makes me happier with the decision.

• Re: Re: Anyone been to Wadduwa?

by JAC67 Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 8:45 AM

Hi I have just come back from the Blue Water hotel, it is fantastic beautiful hotel very clean and fabulous food. Go to Galle for the day as there is a dutch fort enjoy your stay

• PavlH's Profile Photo

by PavlH Online Now Oct 12, 2004 at 9:08 AM

Great - thanks for the feedback. I heard there was some building being done there - is that still the case and is it disruptive at all? Thasnks again

• cazz38's Profile Photo

by cazz38 Online Now Oct 16, 2004 at 6:28 AM

Hi i stayed at the blue water in august after doing a week touring the island,there isnt much to do in wadduwa,we hired a car and driver from the hotel which was really cheap he took us shopping for wood carvings and clothes and knew the best places to go.you will love the blue water hotel its fantastic check out my home page for photos.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines