Voss Travel Answers

change location
TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 25, 2006 at 4:18 AM

Would it be crazy of me to visit Voss in the first half of December to go hiking in the forests? I mean, if I arrive in three weeks' time, will the first heavy snow already have fallen, making forest walking impossible? And if the snow hasn't arrived yet, will it nevertheless be VERY VERY COLD during the day, making hiking a miserable experience? If anyone can advise me, I'd be very grateful. I'd hate to waste my money by booking myself onto the ferry in advance, only to find most of Hordaland buried under snow when I arrived (or being drenched by freezing rain).

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • RE: When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by ruffen Online Now Nov 25, 2006 at 5:22 AM

I'v never been to Voss - but I live in Norway and here the weather can change drastical over night!! :)

It could be one typ of weather for weeks and just when you arrive it have "turned".

So far it have been mild most in part of Norway this fall/early winter.

You better follow the weather there by looking at one of those huge weather internet pages and see how it are/changes day by day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • geigen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by geigen Online Now Nov 25, 2006 at 12:20 PM

This is true at any given moment you be buried under snow or drenched by freezing rain. That said, its been pretty nice so far and the heavy snows are usually after Christmas. If it does snow just turn you forest walks into a forest ski tour!

• RE: RE: When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by FletteMette Online Now Nov 25, 2006 at 2:25 PM

...and it is rarely VERY VERY COLD in Voss - the average temperature for December is -2,7C, that's not too bad is it?:o) It isn't very likely that *all* of Hordaland is buried under snow, we really don't get *that* much snow in this area of Norway. That said, Voss (being inland) does of course get a lot more snow than Bergen and the islands. (And it's quite likely to be snowy in the mountains near Voss)

Like the others said, the weather changes very quickly in Norway (and the weather has really been completely crazy the last few years!) so it is pretty much impossible to say what the weather is likely to be like in December...:o)

Hmm we're not really helping here, are we...:o))

• TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 2:57 AM

Hmmmm.....Thanks for your input, folks. Sounds as if I'd be pushing my luck if I booked three weeks in advance, doesn't it? (The online weather forecasts only cover 4 or 5 days and they keep on changing their minds anyway, so really ANYTHING could happen weather-wise to ruin my plans.) I should've come in November to be safe...

Maybe I should go to Denmark and walk in Rold Skov or Gribskov instead....I don't think they have heavy snow lying on the ground for months at a time liuke in Norway. (But hey, Denmark is just too flat, isn't it?)

by FletteMette Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 3:16 AM

You know, the weather has been unusually mild this year and the temperature at Voss today is 10C. (And it's supposed to rain...:op) I don't think there will be lots of snow at Voss in a few weeks time (but of course, I don't *know*..:o) - rain sounds a lot more likely... but that's not much fun either, is it?:o)

by FletteMette Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 3:34 AM

...but if you want to go hiking in Norway in December, you should probably have a *plan B* - something you'd like to do if the weather isn't great...:o)

• daarth's Profile Photo

RE: When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by daarth Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 7:15 AM

We don't have the type of forests that you can "walk in" like you find in central europe. It is more comon to hike on mountain trails outside the forrests. I'm afraid that december is not a good month for that. There would be too little snow to support you, or it would simply be to wet to be enjoyable. But of course, for the hard-core hiker, anything is possible!

• Jello_B's Profile Photo

RE: When Does the Serious Weather Arrive?

by Jello_B Online Now Nov 28, 2006 at 8:30 AM

As other people has already told you, there is realy no forest to walk in on Voss. You go on top of the mountains, and they are snowy now. So the only way to walk is with skies on your feet..

If you follow this link, bt.no/kamera/article196248.e... you will see how it is in Voss sentrum right now. But keep in mind, this is the centre of Voss, situated only 57 above sea level. The mountains are from around 800 meters and up.. On the mountains in Voss city centre there is now 45 cm of snow, and in Myrkdalen, one of the possible hiking areas there are right now 1 meter of snow.

And yes, there can be realy,realy cold there. I have personaly experienced minus 36 degrees celsius there in december.

So, if you to to Voss, bring your downhil equipment

• TheSingingPostman's Profile Photo

by TheSingingPostman Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 2:13 AM

-28 degrees is a bit too cold even for me (a confirmed hater of summer). I'm not about to risk a Scott-of-the-Antarctic experience, so it looks like it's Denmark for me, then. But why does Rold Skov have to be so low-lying? (And why does the tourist info call it steep and hilly? I guess it's like hills in the Netherlands - noticeable to the Dutch, but only pimples if you're from Scotland.)

I went walking in the woods at Voss in October, fancied going back for more....but obviously not a good idea. I suppose Smaland in Sweden will be just as snow-prone as Voss, yes?

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 2:47 AM

You already found some woods to walk in, in Voss? I have never noticed them!
    I doubt you will find -28° this year. At the moment we have +12° here on the west coast. That and tons of rain along with the rest of Scandinavia. I bet you have it over in Scotland too!

• daarth's Profile Photo

by daarth Online Now Nov 30, 2006 at 2:50 AM

btw, you should write a travel tip about this woods!!
    ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines